Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DeVere 504 Dichromat Filter set up - help needed please

Re: DeVere 504 Dichromat Filter set up - help needed please

Likely it worked when new. Either there was damage in shipping, damage from tampering or damage due to mechanichal failure.
    I'd disassemble, clean and inspect and look for damaged, bent, missing or misplaced parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Likely it worked when new. Either there was damage in shipping, damage from tampering or damage due to mechanichal failure.
    I'd disassemble, clean and inspect and look for damaged, bent, missing or misplaced parts.
    IC, Unfortunately, if he needs to replace parts, it may be cheaper to buy a new used head! Odyssey Sales and KHB Photografix although both do a great job, unfortunately aren't cheap (depending on which side of the pond he's in). L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 29-May-2017 at 21:08.

The filter 'panels' are sitting fine on the upper tracks and stay in the groove in my Mk IV head. What I think might be your problem is the snail cam gear or part that moves the filters in and out. It's possible that the filter frame isn't seated properly on the cam which causes it to jump the track so to speak. I should have taken a photo but it's a very tight space as it sits BELOW the filter sets. If I can, I'll try and get a photo and post another reply.

I'd also be tempted to disengage the shutter, if indeed, that's what blocking the light path.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

There was a single lamp 504 head for sale on this forum back in January. Don't know if they sold it or still have it. Might be worth inquiring. L

Thank you all. From the images that sme of you have sent I can conclude two things
    1. My enlarger is still filthy and will need major cleaning
    2. My three filters are not sitting properly in the grooves, specially the shot sent with the 4 lamps shows the filters well seated in the groove and mine aren't.
    However I just cannot see how i can make them sit better in there...

I'd start with your observation #1 and it may correct #2 when done. Good Luck. L

Ps., I'd still keep an eye out for a used 504 Dichro head!

Quote Originally Posted by almostpilot View Post
    Thank you all. From the images that sme of you have sent I can conclude two things
    1. My enlarger is still filthy and will need major cleaning
    2. My three filters are not sitting properly in the grooves, specially the shot sent with the 4 lamps shows the filters well seated in the groove and mine aren't.
    However I just cannot see how i can make them sit better in there...
    Did you ever get this sorted out? It's been a while, but I just went through this myself recently...I recently acquired a 504 Dichro MkV head and took it completely apart to clean out the dichroic filters and all the build up in the fan assemblies... If had a skilled tech in the area, I'd have sent it off, but that's short supply where I'm at, so I take to some things like this on my own...

If your semi handy with a screw driver and a set of needle nose pliers, you should be okay. The whole thing basically breaks down into pieces.. the base, side walls, etc all break down. If you do it, take pictures and keep all the various sets of screws together.. A couple things I noted when I went through this exercise.

1. Be careful with the dichroic filters! Don't let them drop or break them...
    2. Be careful with the springs that hold tension on the dichroic filters. I broke mine and replaced them with similar off the shelf springs of similar size and strength.. they seem to be working fine.
    3. If you break the side walls down to the fans (and I would.. I'd clean the whole thing out if I were you), you want to reseal them with some foam or tape.. the current stuff in there is probably crumbly.. I think it's pretty key to have a clean fans.. especially with 500 watts.

The filters are held in place by the two brass colored cylinders with grooves in them. They sit in a slot and can be moved up and down when a nut on each one is loosened on the other side (which might be hidden by a felt strip IIRC) on the other side (where the light box sits). So, you can loosen these and reset them in the grooves on top and on bottom as necessary and then retension them and screw them down. They do need to have enough play in them to slide back and forth by spring tension when operating the filter dials though.

Regarding the shutter.. it is a pretty simple device. Mine was working and I didn't have any trouble getting it to work after reassembling it.. I guess it depends on if yours is just dirty or if there is a failure in the solenoid.. the mechanics are pretty simple beyond that.. it's just slides back and forth.

Not an expert or anything, but feel free to shoot over any questions.

John

Thank you very much for your input. I have taken it apart somewhat, cleaned as best as I could and yes i did figure out how to adjust and reset the brass colored cylinders. The filters were filthy. i mamaged to clean them without breaking the springs.
    Cleaned the fan area too. the fans were just loose, not attached to the mounts any more, which shows you how badly the head was thrown around in transit by the dammned courier co. Terrible. I fixed the fans to the metal "grate" which allows the air to come out (sorry i cannot explain it better) with some wire. That is maybe a mistake because I just could not fit the fans on their original springs. Now i am worried that not being fitted in the original way the fans will vibrate against the grate and cause problems (motion problems during exposure).
    I will have to test.
    Re the shutter, yes i can slide it manually but I do not seem to be able to get it to work.
    Can you tell me how yours work? is it all automatic, ie you start an exposure on the timer and the shutter slides open and closes after the timer is done?
    Would help me a lot to know

Thanks again for your input.
    If you have any ideas for the fans laet me know. If they vibrate i was thinking of putting some rubber washers between them and the grates, to dampen vibrations.

It's been a few weeks, but I believe the fans are screwed to the side walls via screws w/ nuts and held firmly. There was foam sealing all the way around the fan to maximize suction, which I discarded (old and falling apart), clean the area, and retaped with gaffers tape to create the seal.

Yes, from what I know the shutter operates via a solenoid on the lamp circuit. The shutter is held to the solenoid via clamp. You can unscrew the clamp and see if the solenoid moves when you switch the enlarger lamps on. If there's no movement, you might check the connections and/or have someone with electronic knowledge test solenoid itself. If it's broken, who knows there may be an off the shelf replacement where the same or similar unit is used for another purpose.. worth a check. Here's some video's showing the action of the shutter:

https://youtu.be/lxBkkiNMRdc

https://youtu.be/eXf6UJD2WTI

Thank you so much for this! I really never understood how the "selenoid" shutter worked, but your explanation is a good start and i will watch the videos. For now i just wanted to say thanks.
    Ps
    If you have time to spare and want to explain it a little further "for idiots (me)" i would be most grateful.
    Thank you again
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by jbmia View Post
    It's been a few weeks, but I believe the fans are screwed to the side walls via screws w/ nuts and held firmly. There was foam sealing all the way around the fan to maximize suction, which I discarded (old and falling apart), clean the area, and retaped with gaffers tape to create the seal.

Yes, from what I know the shutter operates via a solenoid on the lamp circuit. The shutter is held to the solenoid via clamp. You can unscrew the clamp and see if the solenoid moves when you switch the enlarger lamps on. If there's no movement, you might check the connections and/or have someone with electronic knowledge test solenoid itself. If it's broken, who knows there may be an off the shelf replacement where the same or similar unit is used for another purpose.. worth a check. Here's some video's showing the action of the shutter:

https://youtu.be/lxBkkiNMRdc

https://youtu.be/eXf6UJD2WTI