Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Re: Intrepid 8x10 Camera

I signed up for one as well. Though I've got my hands full with 4x5 etc I mainly shoot color. I'm interested in 8x10 to shoot B&W and contact print at home with Lodima paper. Though the lens range was shorter than I would like (my 350mm and 450mm spend the most time on my Ebony) I felt like I wouldn't be shooting the same things I do with 4x5. Instead I would focus on different types of images that would have a life as 8x10 prints. Besides being in the price range that I would like, most important is that it's light. I've looked at the C1 over the years and hemmed and hawed over the weight, realizing I wouldn't use it. I figure if I really like 8x10 I can offload the Intrepid in the future to get something that will take longer lenses. But it might be perfectly fine being the camera for the specific things that I use it for. What's also exciting is nearly 200 8x10's sold in one day. That's pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    I figure if I really like 8x10 I can offload the Intrepid in the future to get something that will take longer lenses.
    Just curious... What do you call long lenses? According to the specs on the Kickstarter page, the min/max bellows extension is 40 - 600mm. Don't know about you, but I'd consider 600mm as long as I'd ever wish to go with 8x10. For fact, I don't even own one. The longest lens I've ever used in 35+ years of shooting 8x10 is 480mm; and, I hardly ever use that!

OMG, I just visited the Kickstarter page and they sold 30 cameras since I placed my order a few hours ago! That's incredible!! Sure hope the film manufacturers stand up and take notice of this level of interest...

In summary :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that overview, very informative.

Of those, the Bellatrix looks the most interesting to me. My concern would be the durability and rigidity of the material.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I think it was here iirc, but someone had some info on the material used in the one of the new cameras out there and its lifespan, and it wasn't encouraging. Everyone is 3D printing but does a camera made this way really solve any problems that may have existed ?

Plywood is a known material and I believe has very good dimensional stability.
    Last edited by Fred L; 27-May-2017 at 09:30.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

This is quite amazing really. In just a very few days this project is now over 607% funded with 200+ backers.

I wonder how this will effect the price of used 8x10 cameras. The price of this camera new, along with the 4x5 reducing back (I would also like to see one for 5x7), and a couple film holders is still less then many used cameras currently posted on e-bay.

These boys may have just cornered the market for 8x10 cameras for the next year or so.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Photography is such a gain/lose endeavor! A couple of days ago we see the announcement of a very affordable, lightweight 8x10; today, we hear that LF Acros is nearing extinction. Oh, well. Guess I'll shoot more Foma 100!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Just curious... What do you call long lenses? According to the specs on the Kickstarter page, the min/max bellows extension is 40 - 600mm. Don't know about you, but I'd consider 600mm as long as I'd ever wish to go with 8x10. For fact, I don't even own one. The longest lens I've ever used in 35+ years of shooting 8x10 is 480mm; and, I hardly ever use that!
    I've never shot 8x10 so I don't know that context. In 4x5 I mainly use my 350mm and my 450mm most often and there are times I wish I had the bellows draw to use a 600mm on 4x5. The Ritter (812mm) and Canham (914mm) cameras have longer bellows than the Intrepid. For me 135mm is what I call wide angle and is the shortest lens I own. I rarely use it.

But like I said, the Intrepid seems like a good place to start.