Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So its that time to get a 8x10 Svedovsky

So its that time to get a 8x10 Svedovsky

Okay I have now been using my 4x5 Wisner for roughly 5 months and enjoy the process very much. I had a look last night at a New Svedovsky and I have decided to buy one.

I'm only guessing but I would imagine anyone who has experienced LF photography has had the urge to get a 8x10.......I'm not getting any younger and seeing as I am still working and can afford to buy one I might as well take the plunge and get one now before I retire in 18 months time. The camera will come with two lens boards............. I am guessing the current lenses that I have will also work on the 8x10 (I'm only guessing)
    My current lenses are
    Nikon 360mm f8 (I think)
    Fuji 210
    Fuji 150
    90mm not sure what brand

I'm currently at work so unable to give you the exact details of the lenses

Please can you offer recommendations for developing tanks/lenses and basically anything else that I am going to need

As always really appreciate any feedback

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: So its that time to get a 8x10 Svedovsky

360/8 Nikkor-T? No.
    210/5.6 Fujinon? Perhaps, probably not. See http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm
    150/5.6 Fujinon? No.
    90, any brand? No.

Think again, and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

Think again, and hard.
    About what??

Neil,

As Dan said, you will need other lenses. I also started with 4x5 and then also acquired an 8x10, at which point my lens acquisition started again.

Beware: once you start using 8x10 you will probably be less inclined to pull out the 4x5!

The Fuginon "C" lenses are small and high quality. Fuji on 240 A is also small. Depends on whether small size or faster lens is a priority.

Dan gave you a link for lens info. You can also google "ebony lens tables" to find another useful lens resource with tons of lens info.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    About what??
    Lenses.

...and did you find the Svedovsky was really steady? How about with a lens? No rear movements.

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    Neil,

As Dan said, you will need other lenses. I also started with 4x5 and then also acquired an 8x10, at which point my lens acquisition started again.

Beware: once you start using 8x10 you will probably be less inclined to pull out the 4x5!

The Fuginon "C" lenses are small and high quality. Fuji on 240 A is also small. Depends on whether small size or faster lens is a priority.

Dan gave you a link for lens info. You can also google "ebony lens tables" to find another useful lens resource with tons of lens info.

Bob
    Sorry I missed the link

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    Neil,

Bob
    Its okay I have found a nice spot in the corner of my living room to sit the 4x5 on a nice wooden tripod and something else for my wife to dust

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Lenses.

...and did you find the Svedovsky was really steady? How about with a lens? No rear movements.
    I've just this minute found out that there is a 5 to 6 month lead on the camera Not to happy about that.
    The camera does not come with a lens.
    Rear movements are limited to back and forward.
    I'm now looking on Ebay and Google for another option as I don't want to wait 5 months, but I do want to buy NEW

Neil

Vince Donovan

I've had a Svedovsky 8x10 for about three years. I find it to be very well made, sturdy, compact, and the bed can extend a nice long distance. I miss having rear swing, and I don't like the setup for combined front swing and shift, which I find hard to adjust accurately. I also find the ground glass to be dim compared to the glass on my 8x10 Sinar. I bought mine with the case, and I'm really glad I did, it's bullet proof.

You are going to need new lenses. Here is useful list of 8x10 lenses:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../LF8x10in.html

Wide lenses are expensive in this format. For my wide, I have the Fujinon CM-W 210/5.6 It's reasonably priced, but barely covers 8x10, with no room for movements. I wish I could afford a wide lens with better coverage.

I process my film in a CL81, which I like a lot. http://www.catlabs.info/product/catl...rocessing-reel

8x10 film is expensive, so I shoot a lot of X-ray film. The CL-81 tends to scratch the super-cheap double-sided X-ray film (it's hard not to scratch it no matter how you process it) so I spend more for single-sided film. https://www.zzmedical.com/8x10-in-ca...ideo-film.html

I still shoot 4x5, but the other posters are right, 8x10 is addictive.
    Last edited by vdonovan; 24-May-2017 at 11:10.

FWIW, there are two other capital expenses that go with the move to 8x10---
    A tripod that can handle the greater weight and bulk
    Film holders

As for lenses, Fuji seems to be getting all the accolades, and the prices appear very attractive.
    As for lens boards, if you intend on sticking with more modern lenses, boards drilled for Copal "1" and "3" should accommodate
    most of the lenses you'll come across.
    However, if you want classical glass
    then wait and get them drilled to fit.

8x10 is a heck of a fun format. Good luck & enjoy the ride!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White