Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo CPE2 with paper tanks for 8x10 film developing?

Re: Jobo CPE2 with paper tanks for 8x10 film developing?

If I remember correctly, the CPE-2 in the OP's photo is fitted with an optional top that had slots cut to use the same NOVA pod inserts as the manual ones that I have. If so, they will not fit the only 8x10 hanger that I have, which is marked Kodak Hanger 4A. But the Nova print pod system used little print clips to hold the paper/film. I hooked a piece of trashed 8x10 Kodak CSG x-ray film to the clip in the attached image file. It seems to hold the x-ray film just fine. I suppose you could use it this way, if you were careful not to scratch the film inserting it and removing it from the pod.

If you are using x-ray film, I would recommend getting a Jobo CPE-2 with a lift, and run the Catlabs CL81 film insert with the 2500 series multi-tank. The one I have works very well, and I have had a much higher success rate with x-ray film, than I have with my Expert 3005 or the 2830 Paper Drum. I always manage to scratch up the film, have rib lines from the paper drum or have splotches of un-fixed film on the back of the film where it rides against the expert drum. For regular 8x10 film, the Expert drum is the cat's meow.

Harold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nova Pod.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	165309

Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    If I remember correctly, the CPE-2 in the OP's photo is fitted with an optional top that had slots cut to use the same NOVA pod inserts as the manual ones that I have. If so, they will not fit the only 8x10 hanger that I have, which is marked Kodak Hanger 4A. But the Nova print pod system used little print clips to hold the paper/film. I hooked a piece of trashed 8x10 Kodak CSG x-ray film to the clip in the attached image file. It seems to hold the x-ray film just fine. I suppose you could use it this way, if you were careful not to scratch the film inserting it and removing it from the pod.

If you are using x-ray film, I would recommend getting a Jobo CPE-2 with a lift, and run the Catlabs CL81 film insert with the 2500 series multi-tank. The one I have works very well, and I have had a much higher success rate with x-ray film, than I have with my Expert 3005 or the 2830 Paper Drum. I always manage to scratch up the film, have rib lines from the paper drum or have splotches of un-fixed film on the back of the film where it rides against the expert drum. For regular 8x10 film, the Expert drum is the cat's meow.

Harold

Name:	Nova Pod.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	165309
    I agree here. I have a CL81, with practice it works great. With my toy IR goggles I can load it flawlessly. I have Expert tanks as well, bought all used. The 3005 is great , can be used with a uniroller etc. If all you are going to do is B&W 8x10 you don't need a processor. Having said that I have a CPP2 with a new style lift, every tank and reel set up. It's a great system. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. If the Nova/Jobo hybrid wont take 4A hangers I would run away FAST. Holding 8 dollar a sheet tri-X with little pin clips and dunking in and out, i.e. Nova no way. If you start with a 2500 series tank and a CL81 reel. It will be compatible with anything you get down the road. MHO, Mike PS, a single 1 gallon SS tank and 6 hangers in a darkroom will do the trick too. OLD SCHOOL:-)

I'm very tempted by the cl81, but I'm put off considerably by the cost of one plus the appropriate tank. Maybe I should bite the bullet nonetheless, although I think I'm first going to try make 8x10 foma 100 work in a print drum (I have a few of those). If that fails, I can always switch to the superior option.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I'm very tempted by the cl81, but I'm put off considerably by the cost of one plus the appropriate tank. Maybe I should bite the bullet nonetheless, although I think I'm first going to try make 8x10 foma 100 work in a print drum (I have a few of those). If that fails, I can always switch to the superior option.
    I think that's a darn good idea. I've gotten good results with nothing more than a 2830. Make sure you go back and forth, not one direction. Jobo made a ring that slipped on the bottom of the 2500/2800 tanks that leveled the tank so you could roll on a table. Don't forget the 2800 tank can be converted to a 2500 with a cap funnel and columns. Practice, those little ribs in the tank work very well to hold the film/paper in place. In the dark it's easy to confuse. Consider my secret weapon Jakks Pacific Spynet toy Night vision goggles, they are 50-60 bucks. Tape over the red leds and you can see everything. The IR leds are 940nm and won't touch any non ir film.

Before you spend a nickel try what you have. Unless you are like me and like hoarding darkroom equipment. Mike

Name:	2830 ring detached.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	165412

Name:	2830 w ring close.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	165413

This is the "leveling ring" to allow you to roll the tank on a countertop. It's nothing more than an approximately 5mm spacer, wrap some tape around the end of the tank until it's level.

2830 tank. With ring. Level

Name:	2830 w ring installed.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	165414

Duolab123 that's a very neat option! I'll have to find one of those leveling rings

I have the same drum but haven't been able to use it because it's missing the light trap...do the chemicals need to be poured in while it's on it's side?

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Duolab123 that's a very neat option! I'll have to find one of those leveling rings

I have the same drum but haven't been able to use it because it's missing the light trap...do the chemicals need to be poured in while it's on it's side?
    This is a listing that shows a cup attached, cog lid is for processor, all you need is a cup, it snaps on and off all Jobo tank lids. Catlabs sells just the cup.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jobo-Cog-Lid...QAAOSwjqVZHjLT

Heres a setup like what I have
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jobo-JoboDru...gAAOSwfVpYwzc5

All this stuff can be found for cheap but you may have to wait a while.
    Mike

Thank you! I'm going to pick that up

How much liquid does the cup hold when filling it vertically? After it's filled with developer does it take long to get into the film area when rolling on its side?