Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo CPE2 with paper tanks for 8x10 film developing?

Jobo CPE2 with paper tanks for 8x10 film developing?

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a Jobo CPE2 with the paper tanks to develop 8x10 film on film hangers? I'm assuming it would be possible but I figured I would ask here first just in case.

Thanks in advance,
    axs810

Re: Jobo CPE2 with paper tanks for 8x10 film developing?

Not sure to understand your question... are you referring to SS flat film hangers?
    I don`t see the point of using a cylindrical drum to develop with hangers. They obviously doesn`t fit (a paper drum diameter is way smaller than 8"), but you can simply develop 8x10" (films or papers) in the way Jobo drums are designed for.

2830 drums work fine for 8x10 film (2 sheets at a time). You could also use a 2840 on a CPE2, though the extra drum capacity is not needed. If you develop film, use the right volume for your film area - the drum volumes are usually quoted for print developer, and you will probably need more. This is how I develop my 8x10 HP5.

The film fits in like paper - emulsion in between a pair of ribs inside the drum. There are no hangers involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    If you develop film, use the right volume for your film area - the drum volumes are usually quoted for print developer, and you will probably need more. This is how I develop my 8x10 HP5.
    I figured this as well. What volume do you use for which particular tank? I'll likely be trying this route shortly and could use a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The op is asking about using the paper slot attachment that Jobo used to make for the CPE processor. I think he means can it be used with hangars similar to a deep tank. I have never used one and cannot answer the question.
    It was a dip and dunk system? Seems strange, but maybe Nova was strong competition? I don't think I have ever seen a Jobo used in anything except rotary mode.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I figured this as well. What volume do you use for which particular tank? I'll likely be trying this route shortly and could use a starting point.
    Treat the tank volume for the (paper) format as the minimum for coverage. An 8x10 sheet is effectively the same as a 135-36 roll, so you need at least 2 roll equivalents for 2 8x10 sheets. The CPE/CPE+ is rated for a maximum of 600ml - it's a weight limit - but there is plenty of scope there. It depends if your developer is reused or not. One-shot is easier to judge. With reused developer it is better to put in a lot if there is room.

As I remember, the 2830 drum needs 100ml for prints, and the 2840 needs 120ml. With the price of sheet film being what it is, being generous with the developer won't hurt.

The 2509 reels for 5x4 can be more of a problem with dilute developers - it is possible to get more film in them than the maximum capacity can process for some developers and dilutions, hence a lot of people sticking to 4 instead of 6 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The op is asking about using the paper slot attachment that Jobo used to make for the CPE processor. I think he means can it be used with hangars similar to a deep tank. I have never used one and cannot answer the question.

Thank you Greg. This is what I meant to ask...sorry for any confusion. Attached is a photo of what I am currently watching on ebay. If it's possible to use 8x10 stainless steel film hangers this would be a great solution for me. I'd like to assume it would work for developing 8x10 film since they can process paper but I thought it would be best to ask the forum first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 5.42.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	165303

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Thank you Greg. This is what I meant to ask...sorry for any confusion. Attached is a photo of what I am currently watching on ebay. If it's possible to use 8x10 stainless steel film hangers this would be a great solution for me. I'd like to assume it would work for developing 8x10 film since they can process paper but I thought it would be best to ask the forum first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 5.42.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	165303
    I have a Jobo Duolab. It has 4 slot 1 liter tanks, designed for paper. 8x10 film hangers will fit the slots n the Duolab, but 4 way 4x5 on a 8x10 hanger are too wide to fit into the Duolab. I have just about every damn fool contraption to process film. Not much need for 8x10 color film. If you are doing black and white, a 2830 drum works fine. I've used a Beseler roller, if you use a drum make sure to reverse the rotation often or you will get bromide drag. I use Xtol, use more than the minimum. I use Xtol straight for Jobo processors, just to make sure there's enough active developer present.
    If the Jobo slot processor will take hangers it will work great, and you can replenish the developer. Super economical and consistent
    Mike

I just looked and 600 bucks is way too much to spend for that thing.

If you haven't bought the Jobo yet, would it not be worth considering the much more readily avalable, and that would also mean spare parts, standard Jobo drum processor and then get yourself one of those Catlabs CL81 film holders? I already own a CPE2 for my MF so the addition of the CL81 seems to make sense for me having just bought a 10x8.
    https://youtu.be/0SIz2OwqSx8

...Sweep