Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laptop for digital photo editing, scanning, etc.

Re: Laptop for digital photo editing, scanning, etc.

Without reading thru all of the posts so I may have missed, but MacBookPro maxed out with memory and internal hard drive. everything else is external. You can drive a large monitor with this laptop as well. Handles files in excess of 20gb plus without much issue.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I recently purchased a BenQ monitor, and I'm really pleased with it. It claims 99% of Adobe RGB '98, and what's even better, it offers a 14-bit look-up table. This is a true graphics monitor, and the price is right: $399 for a 24" monitor. For another $99, you can add a professional quality shade. The also offer larger, 27" monitors for reasonable prices. Too large for me though.

It comes with it's own calibration software that's required in order to get the 14 bit lookup table. (Be sure to opt for the lookup table, versus the matrix based calibration.) I was able to use my X-Rite Display Pro colorimeter with this software. Not sure if Colormunki will work.

This monitor had favorable comments on the Color Mgt sub-forum on Luminous-Landscape, so that reassured me on its quality. Apparently, they're one of the few that manufactures their own screen, so they control all aspects of the quality. (I do't think this is true for NEC.)

Here's the monitor that I purchased. . . . .

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y
    I have 3 of the 27in. Love the monitors. I am considering the 30 in versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    MacBookPro maxed out with memory and internal hard drive.
    Speaking of Macs and external monitors, I was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem using OS Catalina? I came close to buying a MBP or Mac Mini earlier in the summer, but there were enough horror stories on some of the Mac forums that I decided to stand pat in hopes they get the problem sorted.

Memory and hard drive are the only real requirements-- a nice graphics card will speed up some of the computational stuff, but for the most part, even low level integrated graphics chips are quite capable of handling 2D image editing.