Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson 850 and 8x10 negs

Re: Epson 850 and 8x10 negs

Doug, thanks for clearing that up for me!

I guess in Practice the best thing to do with 8x10 negs is to make a scan with the neg face down on the scanner screen. Then take another scan with one sheet of cleared TRIX 320 under the neg as a spacer and lastly take another scan with 2 sheets of TRIX 320 as a spacer and see the results.
    Which ever scan is the sharpest will be the one to go with
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Doug, thanks for clearing that up for me!
    Yes, Doug, thanks for answering (more thoroughly and authoritatively than I would have) before I'd even seen the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Epson flatbed scanners are capable of no more than 1200 samples per inch across the length of their moving sensors when using "Area Guide," i.e. the device's lower resolution lens.
    Low resolution lens of the V750/850 delivers a hardware resolution of 4800 dpi, samples per inch. Because optical loss efective resolving power is around 1850 dpi with the lowres lens.

"The V700 and V750 each have two lenses. The "low resolution" lens is a mere 4,800 DPI and covers the entire scanner bed. The 6,400 DPI lens covers an area 5.9 x 10."

Source: http://www.kenrockwell.com/epson/v750.htm

It is true that a particular software can not scan big images with high dpi, other it can, but it is 4800 hardware samples per inch with the low res lens, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    That's correct. Actually, unless you're concerned about the other nine sheets of 8x10 320TXP (TRI-X) in the box, i.e. want to use them to actually make pictures, there's not even any need for a darkroom or developing tank. In full room light, just place a sheet of film into a tray of fresh fixer, agitate for five minutes or so, then wash and dry. Spacer ready for use.

To ensure preparedness for when the spacer is accidentally scratched or gets dirty/fingerprinted, I'd clear a couple of extra sheets instead of just one. Use fresh fixer for each sheet, since there'll be a lot silver in the used stuff.
    I did that and all went okay.......theres a slight pink hint to the neg is that okay??

Pink would mean underfixed, just dunk it back into the fixer till it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    I did that and all went okay.......theres a slight pink hint to the neg is that okay??
    Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Pink would mean underfixed, just dunk it back into the fixer till it goes away.
    No amount of fixing will completely remove the very slight color from cleared 320TXP. It will be perfectly fine if you use the spacer for scanning other black and white film types. If you scan color negatives/transparencies, a slight adjustment in your photo software program will null out the pink.

Okay my first trial.....first of all the neg is about 1 to 2 stops under exposed
    Camera settings
    f11 1 second

The neg was scanned under my Epson V850 with a spacer and without a spacer.......hard to see a difference..see attached

Neil

NB These are large crops
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neil's-Photography023-no-spacer.jpg   Neil's-Photography022-with-spacer.jpg  

Newton's rings would be most apparent in even mid-tones. None show up here, but they might be in the black areas of the no-spacer image. Subject movement (expected with a one-second exposure) makes determining whether there was any scanner focus difference between the two impossible.