Thread: Graflex RB Series D 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 - which lenses for portrait after 4x5 conversion?

Graflex RB Series D 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 - which lenses for portrait after 4x5 conversion?

Hi :-)

I just bought the camera mentioned above. Unfortunately the lens (Carl Zeiss Tessar 4,5 15 cm) is in bad shape.
    After I finished the conversion to 4x5-Graflok Back I would like to change the lens.
    Can anyone recommend me a lens for portraits/ people?

Thanks in advance,
    Sho
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -

Re: Graflex RB Series D 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 - which lenses for portrait after 4x5 conversio

I don't understand what you mean by "conversion to 4x5."
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Graflex RB Series D 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 - which lenses for portrait after 4x5 conversio

Go for something in the 210-240mm range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "conversion to 4x5."
    I attached a Graflok-Back instead of the original Graflex-Back and can now use 4x5 Holders. Thats what most people do today with the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Go for something in the 210-240mm range.
    Sounds good, I was thinking about a Graflex Tele Optar but I have heard different statements whether it fits.
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -

The ones I have used the most on my SuperD 3x4 that I converted to 4x5, are the 8" f/2.9 Pentac, and the Nikkor-T 270mm f/6.3 tele. Both fit great, and reach infinity without issues with the mirror. I built a new front standard for mine, to facilitate lens swapping with a larger board than stock (which is a tiny board).

I have the 15" Tele Optar that I use on my Series D 4X5. Infinity focus is like 9.5" of bellow draw. My camera only has about 12" of draw so you may not be able to get close enough for portraits. I would guess one of the shorter Tele Optars may work, but will they cover 4X5...?

Honestly, as Jim said, a 210-240 of perhaps a f/4.5 - f/5.6 would be just fine.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I have the 15" Tele Optar that I use on my Series D 4X5. Infinity focus is like 9.5" of bellow draw. My camera only has about 12" of draw so you may not be able to get close enough for portraits. I would guess one of the shorter Tele Optars may work, but will they cover 4X5...?

Honestly, as Jim said, a 210-240 of perhaps a f/4.5 - f/5.6 would be just fine.
    I have read at Jo Lommens Page that the 10 '' Tele Optar should work. Maybe I will give it a try when I do not find a Pentac.
    - Shunryu Suzuki -