Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick release tripod mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quick release tripod mount

This may seem a naïve question to the many knowledgeable forum members here but I am need of a sturdy quick release tripod mount for my cameras and am somewhat confused by the many options available. I am looking for a reasonably priced option that is readily available and will be using the mount for a Chamonix 4 x 5, Rittreck View 5 X 7, Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 500 EL/M, and a tiny Fuji X-E1. Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Re: Quick release tripod mount

You might want to look Kessler Crane clamps and plates, they are Acra compatible and include some with large bases that work well with 4x5 and larger cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    You might want to look Kessler Crane clamps and plates, they are Acra compatible and include some with large bases that work well with 4x5 and larger cameras.
    I had a problem with an Arca manufactured Arca plate that didn't work with the Kessler clamp. The plate was for the Mamiya RB67 camera. The Kessler would not tighten the Arca plate. Make sure you can return plates just in case. Of course, all Kessler plates work with their Kessler clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I had a problem with an Arca manufactured Arca plate that didn't work with the Kessler clamp. The plate was for the Mamiya RB67 camera. The Kessler would not tighten the Arca plate. Make sure you can return plates just in case. Of course, all Kessler plates work with their Kessler clamp.
    Ran into the same issue... such a shame because that QR system is a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Ran into the same issue... such a shame because that QR system is a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wound up using the Kessler short plate on my Mamiya RB67. But it doesn't have the locking nibs like the Arca plate that didn't clamp tight. Although the Kessler plate has a rubberized surface, it twists slightly. I'm using the short plate with my 35mm SLR and the 4" plate with two screws to prevent twisting with my 4x5 Chamonix. Both of these plates work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Benton View Post
    This may seem a naïve question to the many knowledgeable forum members here but I am need of a sturdy quick release tripod mount for my cameras and am somewhat confused by the many options available. I am looking for a reasonably priced option that is readily available and will be using the mount for a Chamonix 4 x 5, Rittreck View 5 X 7, Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 500 EL/M, and a tiny Fuji X-E1. Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.
    Novoflex makes Arca compatible plates and bases in a range of sizes that will easily accommodate all of your equipment. Bases as short as ¾" to over a foot long.

Ari.

Kumar

Linhof makes one that works well from 35mm to Hasselblad to larger gear. Solid and locks tight and release works even in the cold - sub zero(f) temperatures. Mine have never accidentally released.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

The Linhof is what I have used for 20 years for 5x7 and smaller. The plate has multiple screw holes with an anti-slip top. Never failed me yet. For big cameras, you really can't beat Cleans. I've used it with the heaviest cameras (up to 20x24 on a Reis) and it is fast and a dream; slip snap & secure.

https://cleanscamerasupport.com/prod...uick-releases/

Good luck.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Linhof makes one that works well from 35mm to Hasselblad to larger gear. Solid and locks tight and release works even in the cold - sub zero(f) temperatures. Mine have never accidentally released.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Actually they make two. One that is rectangular, which is the one that you appear to be talking about, and another one that is square.