Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick release tripod mount

Quick release tripod mount

This may seem a naļve question to the many knowledgeable forum members here but I am need of a sturdy quick release tripod mount for my cameras and am somewhat confused by the many options available. I am looking for a reasonably priced option that is readily available and will be using the mount for a Chamonix 4 x 5, Rittreck View 5 X 7, Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 500 EL/M, and a tiny Fuji X-E1. Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Re: Quick release tripod mount

You might want to look Kessler Crane clamps and plates, they are Acra compatible and include some with large bases that work well with 4x5 and larger cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Benton View Post
    This may seem a naļve question to the many knowledgeable forum members here but I am need of a sturdy quick release tripod mount for my cameras and am somewhat confused by the many options available. I am looking for a reasonably priced option that is readily available and will be using the mount for a Chamonix 4 x 5, Rittreck View 5 X 7, Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 500 EL/M, and a tiny Fuji X-E1. Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.
    Novoflex makes Arca compatible plates and bases in a range of sizes that will easily accommodate all of your equipment. Bases as short as ¾" to over a foot long.

Ari.

Kumar

Linhof makes one that works well from 35mm to Hasselblad to larger gear. Solid and locks tight and release works even in the cold - sub zero(f) temperatures. Mine have never accidentally released.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

The big problem I have had with camera plates (and I only use arca-compatible clamps) is twisting. For the chamonix, get a plate with two screws: the camera has two holes for a reason.

I would look at really right stuff and acratech, personally, but finding camera specific plates for your smaller format cameras should be easy. I don't know whether the Rittreck View has one or two holes. I have had some good luck with longer lens plates that have an anti-rotation bar on my 8x10 cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by David de Gruyl View Post
    The big problem I have had with camera plates (and I only use arca-compatible clamps) is twisting. For the chamonix, get a plate with two screws: the camera has two holes for a reason.

I would look at really right stuff and acratech, personally, but finding camera specific plates for your smaller format cameras should be easy. I don't know whether the Rittreck View has one or two holes. I have had some good luck with longer lens plates that have an anti-rotation bar on my 8x10 cameras.
    The Novoflex plates have raised rubber tubes on the surface that absolutely prevent any weight or size camera from twisting in any position of the head.

I use an 11x14" Chamonix view atop a large Ries tripod and large Ries head. Love the Ries tripod and Ries head but aligning up the tripod's mounting screw with the base of the camera has always been a challenge... one hand on the mounting screw and the other precariously trying to align and center the camera's base above the 3/8" screw.

Tried using my Arca-Swiss like receiver platform and an Arca-Swiss like plate under the camera... worked for my 4x5 but was overtaxed with the 11x14.

After some research, I bought a Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform and a Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate and have never looked back. The Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform has a double locking mechanism which totally sold me on using this mounting plate system. The Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate easily supports an 11x14" camera. I dare say it would also support a 16x20" camera without a problem.

I 100% recommend the Kessler quick release system.

Can't go wrong with the RRS plates that are Arca Swiss compatible. They even have a page dedicated to LF cameras, mostly 4x5: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quic...t-View-Cameras

I agree with Greg, for ULF you need to go with Kessler type system or Rķes. I have a very light 11x14 than can just be used on the Manfroto 3 way pan head, just!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use RRS plates, for everything from tech'l cameras, long lenses on MF, and 35mm. Very happy with them.