Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aarrrgghhh

Aarrrgghhh

Well, I just made it back from packing my ROC Universal 8x10 on a snowy hike up in Lamoille Canyon and I am frustrated beyond belief.

The clean, purty lookin, CP Goerz 12 inch Dagor lens in a clean looking Acme No 4 Synchro Ilex shutter did not work!

Prior to the hike this morning it worked perfectly while in the safety of my warm house while I was sitting on my cushy couch. Now that I am back home, sitting on that same cushy couch, it is again working perfectly!

But...while mounted on the camera, that was sitting on a perfectly good tripod, planted firmly in the snow, overlooking a gorgeously photogenic, rushing waterfall, dropping into a magically lit rocky canyon...it refused to work.

All I wanted was one or two 1 second actuations at f/32...but nooo!! It would slowly open the shutter blades then even more slowly begin to close them. It took almost a minute for the shutter blades to finally close. Even at 1/50 or 1/150, they would open and then close slowly and agonizingly. I tried warming the lens by putting it under my parka up close to my chest. But nothing worked. After several tries I finally gave up, packed up, and headed for home.

And, of course, once back home everything worked.

I am seriously considering a trip to the trap range with the shutter, lens and shotgun.

Aarrrgghhh

EDIT - I guess I can take a picture of the couch.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Re: Aarrrgghhh

Couch is good...shit happens for s reason
    Work with what you got

Given the circumstances, I'd have tried a couple of exposures the old fashioned way for a 1 second exposure. Open the shutter with the lens cap on, remove the lens cap then replace for the exposure. You should have been able to come close since -1 stop would have been a 1/2 second exposure and +1 stop would have been 2 seconds and realistically the estimated "shutter" time would have probably been within 3/4 to 1 1/4 seconds. At least you would have come back with something. Of course I only think of these things well past the moment it would have been needed.

My sympathies. My cantankerous Acme shutter with a 14 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar lens has failed like that. It would not operate more than once out in the field. I know the aggravation, especially with nice optics attached to it. My fix was getting a modern 360mm lens in a Copal 3 shutter. The KCE with Acme shutter will be used around and close to home. Btw, Lamoille Canyon is a nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by morecfm View Post
    Given the circumstances, I'd have tried a couple of exposures the old fashioned way for a 1 second exposure. Open the shutter with the lens cap on, remove the lens cap then replace for the exposure. You should have been able to come close since -1 stop would have been a 1/2 second exposure and +1 stop would have been 2 seconds and realistically the estimated "shutter" time would have probably been within 3/4 to 1 1/4 seconds. At least you would have come back with something. Of course I only think of these things well past the moment it would have been needed.
    That's a terrific idea!!!

Why didn't you think of that while I was still on the mountain??

Now I'm gonna have to hike all the way back up there tomorrow and they are predicting more snow for tonight!

Besides, I already have several pictures of the couch hanging on the wall behind the couch.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    My sympathies. My cantankerous Acme shutter with a 14 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar lens has failed like that. It would not operate more than once out in the field. I know the aggravation, especially with nice optics attached to it. My fix was getting a modern 360mm lens in a Copal 3 shutter. The KCE with Acme shutter will be used around and close to home. Btw, Lamoille Canyon is a nice place.
    Thanks.

It is absolutely stunning in Lamoille right now. I have lived in Elko for over 20 years and in Nevada for 40. There is more snow on those peaks than I can ever remember seeing. The stream coming out of the canyon is a roaring, whitewater cataract. Even the smaller stream coming out of Thomas Canyon can't be crossed unless you have a serious deathwish. There is a beautiful little decline up in Thomas Canyon where a waterfall drops in that is just a wonderful, little, pastoral scene with big trees and beautiful meadows. It certainly isn't very calm and pastoral right now.

A little over half the way up the paved road, the access in the canyon is still blocked by six foot snowdrifts. Snowmobiles only from that point on and then snowshoes or xcountry skis are an absolute requirement for getting anywhere off that main road right now.

I have a nice little 8 1/2 inch Commercial Ektar in an Acme #3 shutter that has worked out pretty well for me. But it looks like this #4 is going to be a headache.

Dan

Be careful about not introducing shake when removing the lens cap if you can't get your shutter to operate correctly. Practice a few times before going live. Hopefully you can coax your shutter into working out there.

Quote Originally Posted by morecfm View Post
    Be careful about not introducing shake when removing the lens cap if you can't get your shutter to operate correctly. Practice a few times before going live. Hopefully you can coax your shutter into working out there.
    Thanks.

I usually use my hat instead of a lens cap. I do this once in awhile with my barrel lenses but for some odd reason it never crossed my mind in this case. I guess just having the shutter and being frustrated over it not working got in the way of any clear thinking I may have had.

It goes to show how fast tunnel vision can kick in.

Ah well. Like Peter said, things usually happen for a reason and I doubt I ever forget to use my hat if this happens again.

Dan

Look up Clyde Butcher's similar experience while making one of his most famous images "Moonrise in th swamp." It will do your soul some good.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

All other niceties aside, I've found this to be a common problem with shutters that were "home" serviced, botched by 'professionals' or just old and neglected. Simply old oil in the workings. I've had many shutters that refused to work on cold days. And maybe to start an argumentative discussion? I fixed all mine by a good several day soaking in lighter fluid, many more days of drying out and then a good squirt of graphite powder worked in for the new lubrication. They worked flawlessly after that. Yes, there are a very few shutters that can not take the lighter fluid. Yes, you have to be careful and judicious in the application of the graphite powder. But if done right, you get a perfectly working shutter in the end. At worst, you get graphite specs on the inside surfaces of the lens which are easily wiped off once noticed. Or, send it out for a simple CLA...

Beyond that, my sympathies. I'm sure it's happened to most of us...