Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LED Diffusion Lighthead for Omega D5

Re: LED Diffusion Lighthead for Omega D5

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The 412-021 is the Standard Power Supply and is the most economical solution. It is basically just a transformer in a box. Although the ELC lamp is a 24 volt lamp, it is my understanding that the transformer actually supplies 22.5 Volts to give a longer lamp life.

The fan and panel lamp operate on 120V, so the 120V is just passed through.

There are no other electrical or electronic components in the box with transformer.
    Attachment 185257
    Late to reply (sorry) but that makes sense. Something I could probably build even if I couldn't find the box, but curious - it may sound silly, but how do you then adjust the filter amounts? It looked like some of these heads required a separate control thinger?

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    Late to reply (sorry) but that makes sense. Something I could probably build even if I couldn't find the box, but curious - it may sound silly, but how do you then adjust the filter amounts? It looked like some of these heads required a separate control thinger?
    The Chromega head is all mechanical in the filter control. The other power supply you may have seen is the Chromegatrol, which is a combination of the power supply and a built-in timer.

The D5500 (that I have) uses electronic control of the filters with servo motors. The controller boards have many discrete components, so it is somewhat sustainable in the right hands.

Oooh ok. Yeah I was looking at the Chromagega D or some such and didn't see that there are knobs on the bottom Finally found the manual for one of those. I think I still have a bias towards a diffusion system that just lets me use filters. Seems like having to dial in filter amounts when doing split grading would get old pretty fast but the prices for these things aren't too bad used. I could go back to figuring out an under the lens solution I suppose. I used Ilford's under lens system that clamps onto the lens, but it doesn't fit on half the lenses I use with my D2 so I'll need to figure that out.

Just the diffusion system in the Chromega is/was state of the art. The mixing boxes ("Light Multipliers") have fancy diffusion panels that are thinner at the corners to even the light. There IS a filter slot also. I have seen Chromega heads with broken built-in filters given away (to me in fact ).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 5.38.31 PM.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	185524

From the manual:

Should you ever wish to use supplementary filters for special effects, etc., the space under the light multiplier accepts standard 5"x5" color printing filters, separation filters, etc.

Hah I must've missed that when reading the manual! Well that sounds pretty great!

Printing with new E3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Today I disassembled and rebuilt the LED head I received with my Automega E3. I mounted the LED driver on top of the head (as Jerry Bodine did) which gives more room inside for spreading out the diffusion plexi inside and now it's pretty even. Using my Pentax Digital Spotmeter I can see the center is 1/3 stop brighter than the four corners. I can live with that.

So tonight I am printing through 5x7 glass carrier with the E3 and the LED
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 30-Jul-2019 at 11:51.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain