Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone VI Type 1 Head Replacement Suggestions

Re: Zone VI Type 1 Head Replacement Suggestions

Thanks for the replies. I think building an LED head is a little beyond my skills, so I'm contemplating getting Heiland's LED head. Has anyone had a chance to use one of these? The price-tag is a bit eye-watering but it looks like it's the only viable solution for me.

Eric Woodbury

I'm about to tackle this problem, too. Not for a Z6, but to replace a coldlight on the CB7. There are some very simple building blocks for LED light sources at ledsupply.com. I will use the Cree XP-E2 green and royal blue in the 3-up configuration. These I will mount to the heatsink kit that holds 30 LED stars max. LEDs are $4 ea and the heatsink kit $25. Don't use white LEDs. I'm going to build my own power supply/driver, but ledsupply has a lot of different supplies available with various controls. I have designed the driver and I'll post the design schematic and lightsource detail when done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I'm about to tackle this problem, too. Not for a Z6, but to replace a coldlight on the CB7. There are some very simple building blocks for LED light sources at ledsupply.com. I will use the Cree XP-E2 green and royal blue in the 3-up configuration. These I will mount to the heatsink kit that holds 30 LED stars max. LEDs are $4 ea and the heatsink kit $25. Don't use white LEDs. I'm going to build my own power supply/driver, but ledsupply has a lot of different supplies available with various controls. I have designed the driver and I'll post the design schematic and lightsource detail when done.
    Fascinating

Just a quick update. I ended up buying the Heiland LED cold head and I have to say I'm really impressed. Yeah, it's pricey but I couldn't find any other options stateside. It's very easy to use, a real improvement on the Zone VI VC head.

Quote Originally Posted by robk331 View Post
    Just a quick update. I ended up buying the Heiland LED cold head and I have to say I'm really impressed. Yeah, it's pricey but I couldn't find any other options stateside. It's very easy to use, a real improvement on the Zone VI VC head.
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by robk331 View Post
    +1 Yes it's what I did.

I'm thinking of building a VC LED head--has anyone doing this considered just having on/off switches for the blue and green LEDs. Contrast would be adjusted by varying the on time of each color? Seems much simpler to me than dimming the LEDs.