Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI Type 1 Head Replacement Suggestions

Zone VI Type 1 Head Replacement Suggestions

Hi All,

My Zone VI VC head looks to have given up the ghost. Any suggestions on a replacement? I'm aware of Heiland's LED head. Any other options out there? I tried Modern Enlarger Lamps and they aren't taking special orders right now.

Thanks

Rob

Jim Sidinger

Re: Zone VI Type 1 Head Replacement Suggestions

robk331,
    After finding Modern no longer in production and with my wife unwilling to sign the papers to 2nd mortgage our house in order to afford a Heiland, I designed and built an LED diffusion lighthead for my 4x5 Omega D5 as a direct, bolt-on replacement for its condenser head. Having used it for about a month, I'm finding it working out pretty well.

Note: it's designed to use 6x6 filters (Ilford Multigrade, Rosco, etc.) to obtain contrast grades rather than any dialed-in, infinitely variable method; so it may not be the kind of thing you are looking for.

I plan to post in the DIY section of the Forum when I get some time to put together a good, understandable description, but I'd be willing to share some information with you, individually. If you think this might help you, PM me.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    robk331,
    After finding Modern no longer in production and with my wife unwilling to sign the papers to 2nd mortgage our house in order to afford a Heiland, I designed and built an LED diffusion lighthead for my 4x5 Omega D5 as a direct, bolt-on replacement for its condenser head. Having used it for about a month, I'm finding it working out pretty well.

Note: it's designed to use 6x6 filters (Ilford Multigrade, Rosco, etc.) to obtain contrast grades rather than any dialed-in, infinitely variable method; so it may not be the kind of thing you are looking for.

I plan to post in the DIY section of the Forum when I get some time to put together a good, understandable description, but I'd be willing to share some information with you, individually. If you think this might help you, PM me.

Regards, Jim
    LEDs are super cheap. start looking on ebay and buy direct from China. White light and under the lens contrast filters seem foolproof. I have a type 2 with the vc head. The only thing than makes it workable is a Metrolux timer. Im thinking of experimenting with some Leds. The Heiland looks pretty cool, the splitgrade came out in 2000ish, pretty high end then. Maybe you could arrange a green array and a blue array, each with a separate timer. Split print everything:-)
    Best Mike

Jim Sidinger

I have put a post up in DIY of my build.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d-for-Omega-D5

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    LEDs are super cheap. start looking on ebay and buy direct from China. White light and under the lens contrast filters seem foolproof. I have a type 2 with the vc head. The only thing than makes it workable is a Metrolux timer. Im thinking of experimenting with some Leds. The Heiland looks pretty cool, the splitgrade came out in 2000ish, pretty high end then. Maybe you could arrange a green array and a blue array, each with a separate timer. Split print everything:-)
    Best Mike
    I'd like to do a green+blue array but it hasn't been a top priority of course. I'd put each array on a gralab 451 timer and it'd be pretty easy to operate.

Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'd like to do a green+blue array but it hasn't been a top priority of course. I'd put each array on a gralab 451 timer and it'd be pretty easy to operate.
    This sounds like a great idea.

4x5 Is So Small. . . J.B. Harlin's Avatar

Here is what I have done with the 8x10 Zone VI VC Head. . .
    http://jbhphoto.com/blog/2016/07/02/leds-vc-printing/

Jim Sidinger

Nicely done, JB!
    Regards, Jim

4x5 Is So Small. . . J.B. Harlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    Nicely done, JB!
    Regards, Jim
    Thanks! My wife just closed the darkroom door for a day of printing some new 4x10 negatives. . .