Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Symmar XL 150mm f5.6 VS Nikor SW 150 f8

Schneider Symmar XL 150mm f5.6 VS Nikor SW 150 f8

Which lens will produce the best/sharpest image result for landscape work on my 8x10? Any others to consider? Experience matters.

Re: Schneider Symmar XL 150mm f5.6 VS Nikor SW 150 f8

Take the same photograph with each lens and you probably won't be able to tell which is which.

There may, however, be differences in the image circle.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I owned a 150mm XL. It is a fabulous lens, but the focal length was too wide for me on 8x10. There is significant falloff on this lens. Sometimes that look is really great. For times that it's not, you will need a center filter. The center filter is very expensive also, as is the lens. I owned the center filter, and I picked and chose the times that I would use it. Sometimes I actually liked the look of the falloff.

I have no experience with the Nikkor.

Having a 5.6 maximum aperture can be beneficial if focusing in fading light.

The 150SSXL is a wonderful lens IMO. I don't own one(yet, still saving), but have used one that belongs to a friend, and have been floored by the resolution it brings to the table.

Dan

Yeah right. It's a stop faster. And sometimes that's the whole ballgame.

Drew Wiley

Accuracy of film plane is often a bigger variable for sharpness than specific lens choice.
    And at 150 (a very short focal length for this format) you need the film to stay flat in the holder. I don't own that Super Symmar XL, but have peeped through a groundglass with
    one attached. It's pretty impressive.

Great comments. I have the Nikor SW 150 and am pleased with its performance when enlarged 7x-just not overly thrilled. I use it on a Deardorff and have to tighten the knobs down tight. I don't think about the lens being balanced when I am attempting to attach it to the camera standing in 2 feet of water.

I don't notice any falloff with the Nikor.

Thanks for the input.

C Keith Martin

I used to have the Nikon SW 150 and replaced it with a 150SSXL, I can not tell a difference in image quality. The Nikon was hard to focus in the dark woods of Washington compared to the 150SSXL.

The primary issue I had with it was size and weight. My 8x10 camera used Toyo lens boards and the Nikon needed a big 158mm x 158mm board while all my other lenses fit in the smaller 110mm x 110mm boards. It ended up taking up to much rood in my pack and with the lens board weighed ~1 lb more than the 150SSXL.

Both have light fall off that is most noticeable in blue sky with color film. I carry 5 lenses from 150mm to 600mm with my 8x10 and use it for ~20% of my photos.

Keith
    C Keith Martin
    North Bend WA
    8x10 Shooter

I'd love to get my hands on either one of these.
    does the nikkor not need centre filter?