Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 - a comedy of errors

Lachlan 717

Re: 8x10 - a comedy of errors

Some of you need to pull your heads in.

Mr Horne is a member here. He doesn't need your condescending opinions aired here.

And, unlike many, many of us, his activities and video contributions will bring new LF users into our arena.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The camera is back up and working good as new.

The way the weight was attached to the tripod added to the damage of the camera. The weight turned the tripod into a catapult.

I would be replacing the shutter and depending on the focal length of the lens the lens too.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Last time I took an all-night image while backpacking was a bit a disaster, too. It was too humid and below freezing (late Nov in the redwoods). Ended up with a soggy lens, but I found about an hour of sun that day so I could dry the lens out.
    We astronomers use a dew zapper to keep the optics from fogging-up: http://www.telescope.com/Accessories...sc/40/e/22.uts You can buy heating elements that will fit your lens. With a camera I would also use a "raincoat" to cover the body and lens.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Just stop. Ben is a younger guy out there doing it. There is a lot of interesting content on his YouTube channel. He has a lot of viewers/subscribers. He is good for large format photography.

Threads like this just make me more depressed about the state of this forum.
    Agreed!
    I'm a newbie in LF and I've spent a good bit of time watching his youtube stuff and several others, and have learned quite a bit.

As an aside, while I can't imagine setting up expensive equipment like that and leaving it unattended I'm thinking a couple of tent stakes and guy lines would have gone a long way to prevent the disaster, if such would be permitted in Death Valley that is. Other less sensitive places I could see it being a useful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    We astronomers use a dew zapper to keep the optics from fogging-up:
    Thomas
    I was backpacking, so the extra weight would not have been fun -- but it was cold enough that I probably would have used it in my sleeping bag! When the temps dropped in the late afternoons, everything would get covered in moisture, then freeze. I am waiting for the water levels to drop to head back for some more photography...might be mid-June at this rate!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I know that you can't please everyone, and that isn't my objective, but wow, tough crowd here. My goal with the videos is to share the actual honest experience of going on solo shooting trips and backpacking trips. They might not be everyones cup of tea, which is just fine. I have been shooting large format since 2009 and sharing the video journals since 2010, so I have been at this for a while now. My camera has spent more nights set in place than I can count, and it was only this year that I had a problem with it. Our winter storms in California were especially powerful. I knew something bad would happen sooner or later, and was willing to accept the consequences when it did. It is a calculated risk, not a matter of being uninformed. I wasn't mad when it happened, and the Ebony has since been repaired. Without leaving the camera overnight, some of my portfolio photos through the years wouldn't have been possible.

For those that think I must be rolling in money, that is incorrect. The income I earned from my photography just barely covered my expenses in 2016 (the cameras were broken in 2017). I am just a guy that loves putting in a lot of hard work to visit some pretty cool locations with an 8x10 on my back, hearing the click of the shutter, and telling the real honest story about my experiences in the field, both good and bad. It is easy to be an armchair quarterback these days on an internet forum, but it takes a lot more work to get out there, expose some film, and do what you love -- and that is my goal.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    ...wow, tough crowd here...It is easy to be an armchair quarterback these days on an internet forum, but it takes a lot more work to get out there, expose some film, and do what you love...
    Yes, there are a lot of critics here, but not all of us failed to appreciate your photography activities or video records of them. Thanks for sharing, as well as joining this forum. Please ignore the naysayers and come back often!

...the Ebony has since been repaired...
    If you don't mind saying, was the repair done by Hiromi, Richard Ritter or someone else?

...the actual honest experience of going on solo shooting trips...
    I'm likely twice your age. Despite living in southern California since 1978, my wife and I made our first visit to Death Valley last December. It was remarkably calm until the evening before we were scheduled to leave for home. Then all wind hell broke loose. I not only envy your solo trips, thereby avoiding spousal "be careful" admonitions for simply stepping off a trail, but am also jealous of your youth and equipment carrying ability. Welcome, and keep on keepin' on.

Ben, more power to you! Thanks for your post above. Oftentimes a 'critical spirit' in oneself stems from jealosy, a need to feel superior, or both, or other needs that the critic has.

I saw your videos, and thank you. As to the damaged cameras, if it were I, I would be so sick when I saw them I might have puked. My reaction and concern for you was the terrific expense of repairing them.

Read the naysayers, consider whether there's any suggestions that are truly helpful, and apply a large discount to the rest. And keep on doing your camera work.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."