Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Re: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Up to a few years ago used Fidelities, Lisco, etc plastic film holders dating back to the 1970s and before. Then had 3 of them (11x14) fail multiple times on one trip... not being able to process film as I traveled accounts for the multiple failures not realized till I was back home and processed the exposed film. At that point decided to replace my holders with TOYO for 4x5, and Chamonix for my larger formats and have never looked back. Chose TOYO for 4x5 because I was able to purchase a bunch of them in like new condition for a bargain price. As for the Chamonix holders... yes it did take a wicked part of the money that I had dedicated to Photography, but they proved to be so worth acquiring in that none of them have failed me in the past years. With the Chamonix holders I also acquired their OEM cloth pouches. Adds a bit of bulk, but my holders look to be like new even after being used in the end totaling hundreds of times.

Graphmatic 4x5 holders are great and used them for a time till they jammed up on me on 2 Pro assignments bacon the 1980s. Both times cost me dearly, so after that just threw them out in disgust.

I use a Gregory 65L that is both a front load and top load. I also use an Osprey 85L that is front and top load. Looking at getting a 105L if I can find an Osprey or Gregory in that size that is a front load as well as top load. I wrap all my stuff up in the clothes I will wear or microfiber cloth, use lens caps and I also use small nylon type zipper bags for things like spanner wrench, cable releases, etc. I also have the filter hive for all of my filters and step up rings and filter holder/s. Right now I keep the Chamonix 45H-1 in its carry bag, but will remove it to the pack wrapped in leather when I go on a hike. You can also attach items in water proof bags to the outside of the packs that make it quite nice and easy to carry stuff. Lots of D-rings (carabiners, tie down chords, rope, etc). Works really, really good and I can go for a long time. It is heavy when pick up, but once on and secured, its a breeze.

On a side note, I have found that all of my analog equipment, lenses included weigh a significant amount less than my digital gear. It is the lenses that are crazy heavy.

The blue is the 65L Gregory Baltoro, red us Osprey Aether 85L and green is Osprey 36L Stratos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DD130BB0-6969-4A89-89F7-28EFA4489258.jpg   15E987CC-4D1A-4189-B66E-C9BF043CD0CE.jpg  

Tagging to read. I’m facing a similar need soon.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Anyone recommend a good insert for a Kelty Redwing backpack? Have seen the F-Stop ICU but any alternatives? Thanks

I was looking at the ICUs and they look really awesome! But also pricey. For a much shorter hike I am trying out a LowerPro Protactic 450. I kinda wanted an F.64 but it was just too big (above the size most airlines allow carry-ons to be, although you can squish it down). Not for hiking long distances but rather (hopefully) a better means to organize my stuff for shorter day hikes.

For my last multi-day the Osprey Atmos 65 worked pretty well, though I had to store things in clever places. Next time I think I might get a bear can and try to mount that outside my pack which should open up a ton of room to more efficient pack my camera gear. It did work however without the need for an ICU or anything (but it did packing an unpacking my camera a chore).

[QUOTE=Steven Ruttenberg;1449849]Looking at getting a 105L if I can find an Osprey or Gregory in that size that is a front load as well as top load.

Must weight an impressive amount Steve? I'm impressed!

I carry my camping gear and chamonix 045N-2 + lenses etc. in a Lowe Alpine Cerro-Torre that is also a top loader/front loader. Really striped down to minimum and I'm looking at around 16 kgs. The rucksack has some fancy engineering going on with regard to weight distribution (axiom 6 system). Could never imageine going to 105L!

Graham