Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    get a couple of Grafmatics, way better than fiddling with DDS holders and changing film in the field.
    Or new Toyo holders - they have the best registration and when bought new you know there is no warping etc. In many ways the holders are the most important part of an LF system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by angusparker; 7-Jun-2018 at 06:10.

Re: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

@callmebrick no I took a Sirui T-025X Carbon (without the center pillar). It was short but super lightweight quite nearly to a fault. I had to remember to make sure I weighed the tripod down using the bottom hook (usually I put my water in it). I found it was worth it for the extreme weight reduction but not sure how it would fair for windy conditions. It often wasn't windy during my last trip. The MeFoto I use most of the time when I'm not backpacking and it's quite sturdy for me needs there.

@Ed Hmm for some reason I thought Grafmatics were either hard to find or required special film. That's something that might be worth it. Changing film was a hassle but was ok. It's more the potential for dust I'm worried about at that point. I'm guessing they're rather heavy though.

Thanks so much!

Grafmatics do not use different film. They are heavy...but not as heavy as 3 DDS holders per! More expensive but...you don't need many. I use them religiously for long-distance hiking with LF.

You'll want a hiking pack. I am shopping for one myself, a larger pack. I am not worrying about heavy-duty protection - just don't toss your pack on the ground.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Actually yeah good point. I did some quick poking around and a Grafmatic weights about 482g (with film). I weighted my Chamonix and Fidelity holders and, without film, they came out to be 145g and 161g respectively. So bringing 3 holders is 435g and 483g. Watched Craig Sheaks video on Grafmatics and noticed another perk is burning the frame counter on the side of the film. I use a MOD54 usually and when taking doubles it's not always clear which one is which when filing them in a PrintFile or what have you. The one thing I did read is the registration isn't particularly good. Looks like the process of cycling the film also takes a bit more umph. Seems like that would require some care with the Intrepid 4x5.

They aren't too bad on eBay though - about $70. I just bought a 90mm lens so I need to recharge the bank account but yeah I think I'm gonna pick one of these up!

Corran, what camera do you use these on and do you just bring multiple Grafmatics or still change film in the field? Seems like a changing bag plus maybe doing it at night might not be so bad. 1 Grafmatic could last me at least a day (more depending on shots available) though I'd imagine I might take more then 6 shots in a multi-day backpacking trip. Reloading film all in one go seems a lot more advantageous than having to load multiple holders though for sure!

I use my Grafmatics on my Chamonix 45n1, Linhof Technikas, and other cameras included a 3D-printed 4x5 camera that holds it just fine.

I have 4, though one is currently jammed up and I haven't gotten around to trying to fix it. How many I bring depends - last week when I was in south Florida for several days, I had all 3 remaining filled with T-Max 100, and then some extra normal film holders with another film. Another nice thing about the Grafmatics is they have an area to write on, so I can write what film is in it or even development notes! Some people try to fit that in the white strip of a DDS but I don't write well small. Anyway, I just recently bought my first changing bag, in almost 10 years of shooting film. I don't use it for much though, it's an emergency bag that I keep in my car in case something weird happens, like if my 35mm camera gets jammed or something, so I can open up a camera and not destroy the film. I really am not interested in changing film in the field so I just bring enough to shoot for where I am going.

Awesome thanks for the advice! Yep I did some digging and Intrepid has the locks on it which made me less concerned. How do you like the 45n1? I'm kinda derailing the thread but their holders are gorgeous and their 45 series cameras, while a bit heavier than the Intrepid, still look lightweight but seem better made and easier to use?

Not taking anything away from my Intrepid, I love it! But if I wanted to up my game a bit, I was thinking of Chamonix cameras. Also pondered getting an 8x10 though so that might be my next step (I don't think I'll backpack with one though, Ben Horne is a better man than I).

Back to it, you've convinced me that I need to pick up a Grafmatic and try it out! For short day trips it would be perfect.

Funny thing is, I'd like to try the Intrepid. I have the oldest Chamonix. It has its limitations but it works for me. When I bought it the Intrepid didn't exist, otherwise I likely would've bought that. I like the weight but less is always better...unless the Intrepid has issues I couldn't reconcile with, but I don't know what I don't know. I have backpacked my 8x10 and even 8x20 up mountains so it's all a trade-off in terms of weight vs. size...

I don't use Chamonix holders. I wouldn't dream of buying such expensive holders. Just not my style. I have about 20 DDS holders that work just fine - mostly Fidelity. Others will tell you that using old, used holders means there's a greater than zero chance that they fail. Okay. Fun story - I have bought ONE new holder in my life, and after chasing light-leak issues for a year found out it was...the new holder with a faulty darkslide. Still need to talk to the manufacturer about that...anyway, my personal advice is get out and use the gear you have and figure out if you need something else, and what that something else is or does, and then you'll be more knowledgeable about what you need than anyone here .

I really enjoy my Intrepid 4x5. It is my first LF camera so I don't know how it compares to others. It's super lightweight though the current model can only, sort of, do rear-tilt (no other rear movements - though it has front movements). It's built as a backpacking field camera and it shows - I suspect it requires more care and time per shot since it has few creature comforts and isn't super precise. So I always check focus after doing front movements, etc. But I love it! Much like Chamonix, it feels built with care and has a personality. It totally needs a fresnel though. I really wish Intrepid would offer that as a build to order option. I slapped a cheap one I bought off Amazon on the back but I had to cut it and such and did an ok job.

Of note the new version coming out should have more rear movements and switches from using elastic bands to hold the GG/back to metal clips. So if you want to get one, I'd wait until then and either get a used v1 or v2 or spring for the v3.

The Chamonix holders were indeed not cheap. I've had 6 Fidelity's for about 9 months and since then 1 finally split but they all worked well and I think I paid less than ONE of the Chamoix holders. So I tend to agree, those work great. Chamoix feel better built and are lighter but I think I'm happy with the two I have. If I'm bringing 6 or more holders (Grafmatic aside), weight isn't an issue and the Fidelity's will work just fine. If I was only going to bring 2, it'd be the Chamonix based on current usage (though I haven't finished testing them yet). I do like that the Chamoix, being new, have working dark slide locks No need to use rubber bands. I wanna try Toyo too (not the first time I've heard they have the best registration)

I like the Grafmatics, but they've burned me a couple of times. Mostly they're bad about keeping dust out, and harder to clean that regular, plastic film holders. They also can jam a lot easier, though I haven't experienced that too often (usually caused by a bent septum). They also can get the random light leak, which can ruin 6 sheets at once, versus just one. And they're weird with light leaks. They may work fine for ten times, and then on the eleventh, the sunlight hits it just right and everything is ruined! Then they'll work fine for another ten times.

I actually got fed up and decided to replace the light seals on one just the other day. It seemed like a much easier project than it is. First off, finding the right thickness of wool felt is not easy. I never could find some. I tried using black flannel of the correct thickness, but that stuff wears away too quickly. So I eventually found some wool felt that was almost twice as thick and used it over the front of the internal springs, instead of covering the front and back like how it originally came. Also, finding replacement springs is not too easy, though McMaster Carr sells .005" thick phosphor-bronze shim stock that will work. I had to replace one because it had gotten corroded and fell apart when I tried to remove the old felt.