Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Drew Wiley

Re: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

I try to carry a heavy pack on steep hills several times a month. Last-minute conditioning doesn't work very well approaching Geezerhood. 8x10 gear makes plenty of wt easy. But no, I'll never go back to 90 lb packs like in my 40's and early 50's.

What about lenses? I was thinking of taking just one lens. I have a Fujinon 150mm 5.6 and was thinking of buying a wider lens. The Nikkor W's seem to be quite light in 105 and 135mm (quite a bit lighter than my Fujinon) although they have a much smaller image circle (referencing the LF lens list).

That Kait bag I mentioned, I think I may get it and just shoot a test sheet while loading it in bright sun. If it works in that case, I'll probably work when I'm hiking where I'll likely be changing film in the shade or, preferably, at night.

On my own note above, I did a bit of looking and while those lenses are indeed lighter, it seems they aren't really meant to be used with 4x5. The Fujinon 125mm is a bit lighter than my 150mm though the different at this point is reaching marginal (265g vs 280g). Liked the idea of something a bit wider but may just get better at my 150mm for this upcoming trip.

I suggest getting use to the 150mm...learn how that sees on 4x5 for you.

A changing bag in the sun may be light-tight, but it sure does get hot and sweaty!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ah thanks for the info! Got any brands to look at that have aluminium frames? For the hike I used an Osprey Atmos 65. Managed to fit everything though next time I might get a bear can and just strap the damn thing to the pack so I can leave room inside for everything else (camera included). Comfort wise it was ok but definitely not a Lay-Z-Boy.

I'm actually back from my trip now. The photos turned out...well I was trying too hard to get compositions that really required a wide angle lens (which I don't own and didn't bring, just brought the 150mm) but the experience itself was just wonderful. Will definitely take my Intrepid again.

Biggest awkward bits were changing film, which I knew would be the case but it took take longer than I thought. I ended up just climbing in my hammock and putting my changing bag on my lap which I then covered with my top quilt. I did that because I didn't know how much to trust my Kait changing bag (I didn't have enough time to test it before the trip). Cramped but I managed to slowly change film without much fuss.

My Chamonix holders weren't ready before the hike (I just received them _today_ in fact) but they are definitely lighter and want to see how changing film in a bag with them is. I found them a little harder to load than the Fidelitys but I'm also not used to them. They have smoother grooves so once I get the hang of it I think they will be easier. They certainly are gorgeous though (but of course function is the big thing here). I took 2 Fidelity's for this hike but given the lighter Chamonix I might ponder taking 3 so I can bag 2 shots of each film (some BW, Ektar and Velvia). If I was only taking BW, I think 2 would be plenty.

On that note, I took FP4 for the trip as my BW of choice. I didn't quite expect the results I got with it souped in XTOL and in hindsight HP5 might have been better to take as I'm a bit more used to it. I really want a good medium speed film in 4x5 though so may try Delta 100 next time. Or maybe TMX.

Anyways photos are here:

https://www.moocowproductions.org/20...-intrepid-4x5/

Nothing amazing, though the night shot ended up pretty cool. Again my compositions were too focused around trying to get too much of the landscape than I could really do with my 150mm lens. Also I didn't always have the benefit of great light but wasn't always able to wait for it as I was in a group that was sort of eager to move about.

Nice write up M00dog. The shots you posted turned out pretty well and you will get better.

I'll have to weigh my Intrepid hiking set as I am probably fooling myself but I would expect mine to be more like 8 pounds with my Schneider Symmar 135 convertible, two Fidelity holders, box of film (I stay with B&W), a small nylon changing bag, dark cloth, loupe and tripod.

I have been very happy with my plastic Fidelity holders and they seem to load pretty quickly in the changing bag but it will certainly be interesting to see how the new Chamonix holders work for you.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Thanks! I think of those the one with the log was my favorite. Alas I scratched the negative really bad due to accidentally misloading the film in the V700 holders. That was a huge bummer :/ Hopefully I can get my hands on a 4x5 enlarger so I can move to just scanning prints made from 4x5.

Indeed if I were to go on that same trip again, I'd probably keep it simple and just bring a single BW film. Would have made only bringing 2 holders much easier to manage. That was really the biggest issue. I kept all the unexposed film in one box and exposed in another and separated them with plastic paper sheets. Worked out ok though I didn't have any great way to do -1/+1 type stuff. I also coulda/shoulda shot doubles. Didn't have any issues with the BW photos but I took a group photo and that one was grossly overexposed. I recovered it but not without color shifts and things. Doubles might have solved that (plus one of my friend's eyes were closed doh!)

The Fidelity holders worked quite well, although I am bummed I had one split on me (after the trip so didn't affect anything). They're cheap enough on eBay though. The Chamonix ones are definitely lighter. Glad I grabbed two for backpacking but I'll for sure continue to use my Fidelitys as well when I'm taking more than two holders.

Did you take the MeFoto you mentioned in your earlier post?

get a couple of Grafmatics, way better than fiddling with DDS holders and changing film in the field.

Mine is a Jansport Equinox, nearly 18 years old and just starting to show signs of wear to the stitching. A 5x7 Speed Graphic currently lives aboard her.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White