Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Re: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

I have a different dilemma. I'm using a Shen Hao FC617A...this is the non-folding model, which is making a search for a "camera" backpack a bit tedious. Camera dimensions are about 11"W x 9"L x 6"H. I do have an older Osprey Aether 65, but I'm trying to avoid a situation where I'm having to remove an insert to get to gear, then slip back into the pack when its time to move on. My preference is to undo a single zipper, open a flap, and have full access at the ready. My F-stop Loka just isn't wide enough to do double duty. Considering a Lowepro Phototrekker AW II (also has a built-in tripod carrier pocket), but won't leave much room for anything else. Lowepro also has a Protrekker 650, but that thing is massive. The f64 extra large also looks interesting. The non-folding aspect of this particular camera is limiting the choices.

I have a different dilemma. I'm using a Shen Hao FC617A...this is the non-folding model, which is making a search for a "camera" backpack a bit tedious. Camera dimensions are about 11"W x 9"L x 6"H. I do have an older Osprey Aether 65, but I'm trying to avoid a situation where I'm having to remove an insert to get to gear, then slip back into the pack when its time to move on. My preference is to undo a single zipper, open a flap, and have full access at the ready. My F-stop Loka just isn't wide enough to do double duty. Considering a Lowepro Phototrekker AW II (also has a built-in tripod carrier pocket), but won't leave much room for anything else. Lowepro also has a Protrekker 650, but that thing is massive. The f64 extra large also looks interesting. The non-folding aspect of this particular camera is limiting the choices.

Drew Wiley

I've only been on extended backpacking trips with large format gear several hundred times, and never once have seen the need of an overpriced camera pack with a bunch of heavy redundant cushioning and dividers. You can make custom dividers out of fome-core board, and use bubble wrap for cushioning, or even a down jacket. Carry only the lenses and filters you really need. Most of your pack will need to be dedicated to food and camping gear anyway. I modify classic Kelty (original US mfg) and Camp Trails external frame packs for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I've only been on extended backpacking trips with large format gear several hundred times, and never once have seen the need of an overpriced camera pack with a bunch of heavy redundant cushioning and dividers. You can make custom dividers out of fome-core board, and use bubble wrap for cushioning, or even a down jacket. Carry only the lenses and filters you really need. Most of your pack will need to be dedicated to food and camping gear anyway. I modify classic Kelty (original US mfg) and Camp Trails external frame packs for this purpose.
    I'm with you. My OLD REI frame backpack is typically 2/3rds camping gear and 1/3rd camera gear. All of my camera gear -- except the tripod -- is in a simple, lightly padded, Cordura, carefully-selected, large, inexpensive, KIWI camera bag on the top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	174039

Name:	pack2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	174040

Name:	pack3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	174041

I've fallen over more times than I care to remember, but my body, backpack, and Kiwi bag have kept my gear intact -- even when I was sure the ground glass would be shattered.

I can fully understand why some shutterbugs want Fort Knox protection for their gear, and we all have to decide how far we want to go -- in the wallet and on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I'm with you. My OLD REI frame backpack is typically 2/3rds camping gear and 1/3rd camera gear. All of my camera gear -- except the tripod -- is in a simple, lightly padded, Cordura, carefully-selected, large, inexpensive, KIWI camera bag on the top...
    That's about what I have been doing, but with Gregory internal frame packs and a shoulder bag that can hold the holders and meter (camera on the tripod with the darkcloth over the camera and a water-proof stuff sack over that). If I take more than 5 holders, they'll go in a separate bag. On the way out of the woods, the camera has room to go in the backpack.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

My younger friends use huge internal frame packs, but these aren't so good for LF work. Not many side pouches and ya gotta dig a lot. I prefer the way an external frame packs has a protective box-like construction. But back when I was a teenager in my 40's, two thirds of my pack was camera gear and film holders. I learned to get along on one meal a day. A lot has changed! I still prefer Sinar or my Phillips 8X10 plus Ries wood tripods for day hikes. But on the long haul it's a little Ebony folder and carbon fiber. But I shoot MF too. It's all fun, except the fact of getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That's about what I have been doing, but with Gregory internal frame packs and a shoulder bag that can hold the holders and meter (camera on the tripod with the darkcloth over the camera and a water-proof stuff sack over that).
    I smash into too many trees and cliffs too often to image that!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I smash into too many trees and cliffs too often to image that!
    Well, I bought a new pack that was a little smaller --- to keep the weight down...so now I have to carry the camera on the tripod. Makes sense to me...

Fortunately, the camera and lens weights 2.5 pounds on a 7 pound tripod. And I can set it up and check out the view without taking my pack off. If I like what I see, the pack comes off and the meter and holders are right at the top.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Well, I bought a new pack that was a little smaller --- to keep the weight down...so now I have to carry the camera on the tripod. Makes sense to me...
    You must have developed incredible biceps! Most of my excursions are off-trail, and much of the time I need at least one hand to keep my balance -- climbing over boulders, etc. My guess is that half of the time I stop, it's because I want to take a picture. The other half of the time, I stop to give my back a break!

I will add that I prefer a "panel-loading" to a "top-loading" backpack because in the case of the top-loading kind, you dig and dig some more to get anything. Especially photo gear. Hence the Granite Gear that Photobackpack sold is my happy choice.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."