Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Sinar Norma equipment in the field...

Using Sinar Norma equipment in the field...

I have always admired Fred Picker and Kipton Kumler for using their Sinar Normas in the field. Fred a 4x5 and Kipton an 8x10. Does anyone out there know how they transported their camera outfits around? Sinar's older cases for their Norma systems I have. Both the 4x5 and the 8x10 are huge and tax me carrying them over long distances. The case for the 8x10 system, has attachments for attaching back straps and transportation the case as you would a backpack... I've tried it and you've got to be kidding... a camping and hiking backpack holding twice (or more) the weight is way more comfortable on my back. So... would appreciate how people use and transport their Sinar Norma systems in the field.
    Thanks
    Greg

Re: Using Sinar Norma equipment in the field...

I carried my F2 4x5 in it's Sinar case when I was doing architectural work. Not exactly field, but it was location work!

Hi Greg,

I have done 4-5 hours (total time) hikes with my 4x5 Norma a few times. I do have a proper case for it but it is too bulky so I typically just fold it down as small as I can and put the camera in a large general backpack. I am able to carry two lenses and about ten holders fairly comfortably but your long distance might be much longer than any of my trips. What made a huge difference for me was to get a lightweight FLM tripod and ballhead to go with the camera.

I also have the F64 extra large backpack for my 8x10 Deardorff setup that gets a bit more challenging but I have been able to pull it off for smaller trips.

Pali

Photographer

You could look for a Kelty pack frame. Strap a camera case on the frame and go to work.
    Keith Pitman

I carry my 4x5 Norma in a Tamrac bag that converts into a backpack. (It's 25 years old now so I don't suppose they still make that model.) It carried a 4x5 Zone VI before, and I was pleased to find that the Norma would fit. Haven't hiked any great distances with it carrying the Sinar, but that kit only weighs about 2lb more than the Z-VI kit did, so it's a feasible option.

But on the other hand, remember that Fred Picker OEM'd Wista cameras for a while before hiring Ron Wisner to design a compact field camera... and then had it re-designed after a falling-out with Mr. Wisner. And sold that camera for a number of years... perhaps he found the Norma less than ideal out in the countryside.

When I shot with a monorail I used a cargo backback frame similar to this.....http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...nly/745196.uts
    I still keep it with me when shooting with my Ancso Commerical 8x10.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Buy yourself some type of cart with wheels especially if you are shooting an 8x10 Norma.

Have used a 5x7 Sinar C in the field for decades. It all goes into a rolling case (wheels with handle) with the case rolled to where images are made. Don't hike or go off trail much at all or venture far from the car. Currently working on making a hybrid Sinar front Arca Swiss 5x7 monorail and looking to putting together a 5x7 Sinar Norma then making a choice of which of the three ends up being the ideal 5x7 portable_ish monorail.

Camera choice should depend on photographer's needs. There are those who simply do not like field-box cameras and are driven to use a monorail. There have been many stories of folks hiking with a 8x10 Sinar monorail.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Buy yourself some type of cart with wheels especially if you are shooting an 8x10 Norma.
    I have used a Sinar Norma 8x10" just once in the field. This was at the "open air" museum in the north of Copenhagen. This is a huge collection of rural buildings, removed from their original settings and reassembled (like LEGO!) in appropriate locations in a parkland. Watermills by a stream, windmills on top of a hill etc.

This superb museum caters for family outings, so they have a quantity of of 4 wheeled carts for the very young visitors. These worked extemely well on fairly rough tracks with a full load of two cameras (including the Norma) and a couple of big lenses doing archictectual details.