Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 355mm G Claron f11 variant.

Re: 355mm G Claron f11 variant.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    Also, it could be the same optics, but mounted in a Copal 1 shutter for the smaller size and weight, and lower cost.
    The glass elements of the 355/9 G-Claron are too large to fit in the cells shown.

I dunno, Oren, Schneider says the 355/9 G-Claron's front cell's OD is 80 mm, Benoit Suaudeau's site gives the Copal #1's OD as 73 mm.

Look at the eBay listing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Kr...-/172629527443 Don't be obnoxious about the listing. I put it away on archive.org at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Kr...-/172629527443 and the images as archived are useless.

There are no shots of the lens straight on but I find it hard to reject the idea that the front cell's OD > shutter's OD.

From the side views, it's hard to believe that front cell has a 10% larger OD than the shutter. And from many pictures of the f/9 version, it doesn't look to be the same front cell, just mounted in a smaller shutter instead - the housing appears to be a tighter fit to the glass. But could it be the existing glass shoehorned into a smaller shell for this mount? I thought not last night, but in fairness can't prove it just from eyeballing available pictures.

I wonder, with Michael, about why we haven't seen this before, but it's not as if I have access to the factory logs - who knows whether they did a one-off or a special run for somebody? So for now, consider me still puzzled.

Interesting....in my mind the late type black Copal 1 shutter with black face on cocking lever doesn't match the age of the lens as suggested by the serial number.

In my experience of watching and owning these things that style of blue box also puts it after the suggested 1980 manufacture date in my mind.....but I haven't owned many lenses from new so others might know better.

Unfortunately the published production lists stop at serial 12 86X XXX (March 1976) so there isn't anything to be found there - except that between October 1970 and November 1971 there were 4,600 150/11 G Clarons produced. Has anyone ever seen one of those? As they were being produced alongside the regular 150/9 G Clarons, but in much larger batches, I expect they were going into some sort of industrial machinery.

Lachlan 717

New one for me, Paul.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks, Paul.

I asked the seller about the filter size of the lens. He replied "about 68mm" - presumably 67mm, the closest standard size. The filter size for the 355/9 in #3 shutter is 77mm.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

This is supposition on my part about this specific example but...there was a class of reproduction cameras used in print shops that were vertical and compact. They used lenses of short focal lengths at apertures of f/10 and f/11. I owned a Nikkor 240mm f/10 WA that was rated at 0.00% distortion. It was incredibly sharp at all reproduction ratios. It did not have a shutter and it was expensive to fit one. Rodenstock and a few others that don't come to mind also had lenses of this sort. These lenses would not have been marketed to commercial photographers but to builders of compact copy cameras. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it till someone more knowledgeable puts me in my place. - Andy

Lachlan 717

There is another one listed on eBay at the moment.

Different SN and cheaper.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    There is another one listed on eBay at the moment.

Different SN and cheaper.
    Nice catch! This one as well is in all-black Copal 1, with S/N 13,673,477, which is very close to the one you showed back in 2017. Evidence in favor of a one-off special run for a particular customer, perhaps?

On the Schneider S/N list floating around the web, this S/N dates to around 1980.