Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer, OS and Scanner Survey

Re: Computer, OS and Scanner Survey

The computer I do lens designs on is a 32 Core 3.5 GHz based system. Doubling the number of cores cuts optimization time in half...Important when that time is measured in days and weeks.

GIMP and ImageJ are open-source alternatives to photoshop for image processing.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Simple iMac (4GHz Intel Core i7) here with Epson V700 and the Epson software plus photoshop...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    The computer I do lens designs on is a 32 Core 3.5 GHz based system. Doubling the number of cores cuts optimization time in half...Important when that time is measured in days and weeks.

GIMP and ImageJ are open-source alternatives to photoshop for image processing.
    Time to complete an operation doesn't scale directly proportionally to the number of cores. More cores certainly speed it up, but you still have a bottleneck in distributing the operations across the cores and collecting the results.

I know this is a somewhat simplistic example, but a while back I upgraded my Mac Pro from 4 cores to 8 cores of the same processor family and clock speed(I've now swapped in higher clocked CPUs). This was about as even of a testing platform as you could ask for, as I only changed the CPUs. When I would run lens correction filters in CS6 on big scans, the same operations would take 3/4 to 2/3 the time with 8 cores as it took with 4. Of course, upping the clock speed(again, same processor family-I went from dual Xenon 5355s to dual 5365s) also decreased the time to do this, but again not dramatically.

Out of curiosity, what processor(s) are you using? I'm struggling a bit to come up with a combination of that will give that number of cores at that clock speed. Also, I'd think lens optimizations have enough vector operations that a good GPU would help you out a lot. What GPU are you using now?

Hackintosh (macOS running on PC hardware), i7 Skylake @4.5Ghz, 64GB RAM. Scanmate 5000 (on old XP box), Epson 4870 and DSLR based scanners. Using Photoshop and Lightroom.

My main scanning 'station' is a HP/Compaq laptop that must be nearly about a decade old now. Intel Core2 Duo @ 2GHz with 2GB of RAM and running Win7 and Photoshop CS5. It's as slow as can be, but I don't care. Don't do that much scanning anyway. The scanner is a 4990 that's even (significantly) older than the laptop.

I scan my 35mm stuff on a Minolta Scan Dual IV that's connected to my work laptop, an Asus i5 machine with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, running Win10 and Photoshop CS2.

I also have a lightweight desktop running Xubuntu on an Intel Atom; of course I have GIMP installed, which I use from time to time for basic tasks such as rescaling images. The hardware isn't quite powerful enough to deal with proper scans, but more importantly, even after a decade of using GIMP regularly, I just can't get used to its user interface. Compared with Photoshop, it just feels like going back to the stone age every time I launch it. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm quite proficient in Photoshop and therefore used to its UI instead of GIMP's.

I use a late 2015 iMac with 24G and 5K 27" display. I wet mount the film and scan with an Epson V800 into Silverfast SE (or whatever the paid version is). Spotting in Adobe Bridge and final prep / output to print in CC or onOne. I don't print at home by there's a great lab nearby and print prices are insanely low today.

Late 2008 MacBook Pro. 4gb RAM (way too little), took out the optical drive and replaced with a 1tb internal drive.

Pakon F135 (non-plus) for 35mm. Epson v700 for MF & LF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using Epson 4990 Perfection with Gimp 2.9 and XSane, with 16bits tiff image files at 3200 dpi.

Cheers,

Renato

Preston Birdwell

Equipment is an i7 equipped Dell with 12 gigabytes of Ram, Epson 4990 and Nikon Coolscan 9000.
    You machine and scanners should get the job done, but I do have some suggestions...

*Win 10 Pro 64 bit
    *A 500 GB SSD for your primary drive (The Samsung 850 Pro gets excellent reviews.)
    *NVidia GTX 1060 or 1070 video card.
    *Increase RAM to 16 GB; 32 if you can afford it.
    *Photoshop CC 2017 via the Adobe Photographers Plan

My reading of some articles at Puget Systems indicate that Photo Shop is a single, or lightly threaded application that uses at most two cores, so any CPU with more than 4 cores will not buy you much. You current i7 is plenty good enough for photography.

Your best performance increase comes from using an SSD, rather than a standard platter drive for your OS, applications, and working files. Additionally, Photo Shop uses RAM and VRAM (Video RAM) extensively, so having more system RAM, and a decent video card will pay dividends.

I agree with Jim Andrada about using and learning Photo Shop. The Adobe Photographers Plan @ 9.99/month is a pretty good deal. You can download and install only the applications you need. The applications reside on your computer, and you can store your files on your machine. Basic editing is really quite straightforward, and you can learn new skills with it as you need them.

If you have enough disk space, you could have Linux on one partition, and Win 10 on another in a dual boot setup. There are some good references as to how to do this at How-To Geek
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Computer, OS and Scanner Survey

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hutcherson View Post
    Time to complete an operation doesn't scale directly proportionally to the number of cores. More cores certainly speed it up, but you still have a bottleneck in distributing the operations across the cores and collecting the results.

I know this is a somewhat simplistic example, but a while back I upgraded my Mac Pro from 4 cores to 8 cores of the same processor family and clock speed(I've now swapped in higher clocked CPUs). This was about as even of a testing platform as you could ask for, as I only changed the CPUs. When I would run lens correction filters in CS6 on big scans, the same operations would take 3/4 to 2/3 the time with 8 cores as it took with 4. Of course, upping the clock speed(again, same processor family-I went from dual Xenon 5355s to dual 5365s) also decreased the time to do this, but again not dramatically.

Out of curiosity, what processor(s) are you using? I'm struggling a bit to come up with a combination of that will give that number of cores at that clock speed. Also, I'd think lens optimizations have enough vector operations that a good GPU would help you out a lot. What GPU are you using now?
    Sorry, 2.5 GHz. Typo.

Yes, there is overhead naturally, but performance testing (number of ray traces per second) that I did while justifying computer upgrades to management indicated close enough correlation that I can claim "double the speed with double the processor.

Lens design software does not currently take advantage of GPU's. Ray tracing is only a small part of optimization. Most of an optimization cycle involves adjusting defined parameter variables and determining the effect on the value of an RSS Merit Function. The merit function can consist of thousands of calculations of performance characteristics defined by the designer such as aberration correction, mass, overall length, focal length, wavefront error or spot size, etc, etc. It's a very complex and very large set of mathematically intensive calculations.

I have talked to folks at Zemax about using the GPU. They've said in the past they were looking into it, but nothing has ever come of it. An actual ray trace through the optical system is actually pretty simple and fast. My guess is the gain in speed is not worth the trouble involved in supporting all the different GPUs out there. But I'm not a software guy.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com