Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer, OS and Scanner Survey

Computer, OS and Scanner Survey

As I work further towards getting things back up and running, I was giving some thought to what I had originally planned on doing in regards to making prints from my negatives. Especially for 4x5, I had planned on scanning them in and then doing some editing on the results prior to printing. The idea was to use a reasonably powerful desktop for the editing after scanning and then to print. I was setting things up under Linux and was going to use Vuescan and Lightzone or GIMP. I'm starting to question a couple of these ideas and wanted to see if there were any other Linux users out there doing this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Ed

Equipment is an i7 equipped Dell with 12 gigabytes of Ram, Epson 4990 and Nikon Coolscan 9000.

Re: Computer, OS and Scanner Survey

dell or something, w10, like 8 gigs, v750

Personally if you are spending the money for a modern i7 Desktop why not get a subscription to Photoshop? There are quite a few advantages to using actual Photoshop. One is that all the tutorials people write for things like general editing and digital negatives (if you ever get into that) are written for photoshop. The other is you can experiment with scanning in other formats. I have recently been scanning Vuescan negatives with no adjustments and then outputting as raw DNG files (make sure to check "Raw save film" so they are inverted). Now Photoshop can do the raw scan conversion. This seems to result in a better file. You can't do that workflow with GIMP. In fact I don't even think GIMP supports compressed TIFFs generated from Vuescan, so you are stuck generating huge files with GIMP.

HP Z400 workstation, quad core Xeon, 16 GB RAM, Win 10, nice graphics card
    Epson V4900 scanner with included Epson software

I get my professional workstation desktops off-lease. I find the right one can be a good value compared to a consumer grade computer in build quality and stability.

Ed, your i7 dell would probably do well.

I love Linux and use it for web browsing, ordering, work, email, card playing, etc..
    Gimp is slow compared to photoshop and so far they've made it not easy to deal with >24bit color.

For scanning/printing, I have a windows 10 desktop, v700 scanner, r3000 printer, $10/mo ps&lr. Windows PC is an older 8-core AMD fx8120 with 32GB ram and Dell 4k display.
    I don't need all that memory except when making panoramas in LR which is very inefficient with memory in that task.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desk.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	163781

Well, would probably help to add more info. I don't have Photoshop, and am not crazy about the new subscription service. Being self employed, I've never had the time to deal with the very steep learning curve, either. Since I don't use it all the time, some things don't become ingrained. That's one of the things that I like about Lightzone is that a number of processes are more user friendly. GIMP is now releasing a 16bit capable version, to the best of my knowledge. Last, I've used Macs at work since 1994.

For scanning(V700, Coolscan 5, Sprintscan 35 for SuperSlides) I use a PowerMac G5 dual 2.7 running both OS X 10.5.8 and 10.4.11. Obviously, the Coolscan is my workhorse for 35mm while the V700 handles everything else up to 4x5. I have a very specific reason for using that computer-namely that it's the fastest Mac that can easily run SCSI peripherals(and it wasn't easy to find a card compatible with that particular computer). I use Vuescan primarily for scanning, but also use Epson Scan and Nikon Scan as appropriate.

I have CS4 and Lightroom 2 on the G5. I prefer CS6 and Lightroom 6 on my MacBook Pro(and sometimes do dust spotting and the like on it) but the nice dual 1920x1200 monitors on the G5 make up for some of the speed loss.

Quote Originally Posted by morecfm View Post
    . . . I get my professional workstation desktops off-lease. I find the right one can be a good value compared to a consumer grade computer in build quality and stability.
    I agree. As for editing programs, Irfanview (a free download) is a useful addition to the much larger (and sometimes slower) programs for a few basic tasks.

In the end, I don't see any really good substitute for Photoshop. Too bad, but such is life! YMMV. I scan 4 x 5 to 8 x 10 with an IQsmart 2, which needs an old Mac, although I'm primarily a Windows (and occasional Linux) user. I use 2 x 30" Apple Cinema monitors, but one of these days I'll upgrade to NEC. Overclocked 4 core BOXX 24GB workstation and a similar 6 core custom workstation - I do a lot of video editing as well as running Realflow, Cinema 4D and Maxwell Render so could use a lot more core$ - 24 hour compute bound rendering across a total of 10 cores for a single image isn't unheard of Clearly, the systems are configured for the "heavy lifting" of the CG stuff, so don't even break out in a light sweat with Photoshop.

Foamer

Computer: double quad core i7, 32gb ram, Radeon rx 480 video card with 4GB ram, Dell graphics monitor.
    Scanners: Epson v700, Nikon Coolscan V
    Software: Vuescan, Photoshop CC, DxO

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!