Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I use my old Schneider lenses for a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5?

Red face Can I use my old Schneider lenses for a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5?

Hello! I'm going to buy a field camera for shooting most portraits on my trips. And I am thinking of getting a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5. Today I have a Sinar 4x5 and 5 different Schneider lenses that are mounted on lens boards that are 14x14 cm. It seems like the lens board for the Nagaoka Seisakusho are smaller? BUT if I get a smaller lens board is it just to mount the lenses on the new lens board?

/Johanna

Re: Can I use my old Schneider lenses for a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5?

Welcome.
    If your lenses are the DB kind, they pretty much need to be used with the Sinar system as they lack the shutter.
    If your lenses are stock Schneider with shutters, you can remount them in lensboards that are drilled for the shutter on your lens.

So, it depends.

On Sinar you have 2 options for a shutter mechanism, either Sinars own shutter which is on the front standard and shared with all lenses (DB system), lenses mounted for this system look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16112011pic868.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	163757

The other mounting is that each lens has its own shutter, which looks like:

Name:	large-format-sinar-camera-lens-AJ4CP6.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	163758

Note the shutter speed and aperture selection on the lens barrel.

If you have lenses with their own shutters you can remount them on Linhof type boards, those will fit the Nagaoka.

For the Sinar you could then get a Sinar-board to Linhof-board adapter so you could use the lenses on both cameras.

Hope it helps :-)

Thank you! And thank you for your answer! Ok I see! I bought this camera used a couple of years ago so it is a mix of lenses both with extra shutter and probably the DB one you are mentioning. Hm. I have to go thru them all tomorrow then and sort it out. Thank you again for your answer!

Thank you for answering @locutus and thanks for the pics! I guess the 90 mm and my 180 mm lenses are none DB system. So That's good news then But maybe the 180 are to "tele photo lens" for the Nagaoka Seisakusho?

Anyway this is how my 90 mm looks like:

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	163761
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0681.jpg  

Yup! thats a lens on shutter, so you could remount it on a Linhof board (very easy to do).

a 180mm is a normal on 5x4 and the Nagoaka should have the bellows extension to focus it.

For the 90 you might have problems though, but i have no idea what the minimum bellows extension of that camera is. You can always just try and get a tape measurer.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Yup! thats a lens on shutter, so you could remount it on a Linhof board (very easy to do).

a 180mm is a normal on 5x4 and the Nagoaka should have the bellows extension to focus it.

For the 90 you might have problems though, but i have no idea what the minimum bellows extension of that camera is. You can always just try and get a tape measurer.
    Technically a 180 is a normal lens for a 57 camera. 135 and 150 are the common normal lenses for a 45 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by fotojohanna View Post
    Hello! I'm going to buy a field camera for shooting most portraits on my trips. And I am thinking of getting a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5. Today I have a Sinar 4x5 and 5 different Schneider lenses that are mounted on lens boards that are 14x14 cm. It seems like the lens board for the Nagaoka Seisakusho are smaller? BUT if I get a smaller lens board is it just to mount the lenses on the new lens board?

/Johanna
    Hello Johanna,

This is a common problem... having several cameras with different lens board design.

For convenience you should mount the lenses in the smaller lens board type and make an adapter that allows to mount the smaller lens board to the other camera.

You may take an spare Sinar board and modify it to mount on it a Nagaoka Seisakusho board. So just attach a DIY Nagaoka Seisakusho receptacle on a Sinar board, and solved !!!

In my case have Sinar and CAMBO, so I made a 3D printed adapter I place in the CAMBO to allow mounting Sinar lens boards:

Name:	DSC_0292.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	163762

Name:	DSC_0298.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	163763

Name:	DSC_0299.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	163764

(Note still not finished... lacking some metal parts to secure the Sinar board in the CAMBO adapter)

So I mount Sinar on CAMBO, while you have to mount Nagaoka on Sinar...

I made a 3D Printer part because I use SolidWorks often and it was straight for me, but IMHO some wood parts bolted on a Sinar board would allow you to mount the Nagaoka Seisakusho board on a Sinar board, just check that there is no light leak, and no alignment is lost.

Best Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Technically a 180 is a normal lens for a 57 camera. 135 and 150 are the common normal lenses for a 45 camera.
    Hello Bob,

I guess that there is bit different criterion for LF compared with 35mm film, as 135mm LF has same angle of view than 36/32/38mm with 35mm, depending if we consider diagonal, V or H. This is a bit wide... but...

...but this is for a distant subject... and as we provide bellows extension for a near subject we have a more normal than wide view with the 135mm lens... I've just realized that!!!

Until know I also was thinking that normal for 45 was longuer than 150mm...

Regards

Johanna,

It has been a while since I have used my Nagaoka, but your question spurred my curiosity.

My Nagaoka compresses to roughly 2-3/4".

Name:	Nagaoka Ruler.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	163766

For giggles, I put my 90mm Super Angulon on my camera and it focuses at infinity with no issues. I also tried an old Wollensak 65mm that I use on my 2x3 Graflex cameras; but it is too short to focus at infinity.

My camera is a bit beat up, but still works fine. It is almost silly how light and portable these cameras are.

Name:	Nagaoka Front 90mm Super Angulon.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	163767

Name:	Nagaoka 90mm Super Angulon.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	163768

Name:	Nagaoka Plate.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	163769

Good luck with your search for your new camera.

Harold