Thread: Shanel shutter info needed

Shanel shutter info needed

So I am looking at putting an old brass lens into a shutter. There is a Shanel #5A available at a reasonable cost, but the seller doesn't have specifics on thread size of the front mount. I tried to find online, but there isn't a whole lot of info that I can find. Any one know what the threads are on the 5A or the 5B?

Re: Shanel shutter info needed

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...a.140410/print Kumar might know.

There's a law of nature to the effect that old brass lenses in barrel into modern shutters do not go.

Why would old brass lens not go in a shutter? Historical accuracy or some technical limitation that I am not thinking of? Surely it will work if I have the correct adapter machined,no? The lens covers 8x10 but I am using it on 4x5, so I don't see mechanical vignetting to be an issue (the shutter hole is roughly 20mm bigger than the lens barrel)

Dan, there's no reason old brass lenses won't go into shutters. Most of those lenses had imperial thread pitches, so an adapter would be necessary. Using a shutter like the Shanel is a very practical solution, just like a Packard or Sinar shutter. I measured the Shanel 5A and 5B-S shutters - with a scale, not a caliper, so measurements are not 100% accurate:

The 5A does not have an aperture mechanism. The 5B and 5B-S have speeds from 1 second to 1/100th + B. Both have M and X sync.
    5A: Body diameter: ~115mm Front diameter ~63.8 mm Rear inner diameter ~59 mm Rear outer diameter ~63.7 mm Pitch 1mm Maximum aperture size ~51 mm
    5B-S: Body diameter: ~115mm Front diameter ~64.3 mm Rear inner diameter ~67.3 mm Rear outer diameter ~72 mm Pitch 1mm Maximum aperture size ~50 mm

Due to their large size, they need a spacer ring to clear the front of field cameras like the Wista and Technika, whose standards will prevent the lens boards from being mounted.

Kumar