Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Handling IR Films

Re: Handling IR Films

I just had a thought. Rollei has the antihalation layer that HIE didn't. When you develop Rollei IR, you're supposed to soak it in water for a few minutes before dropping it in the developer to remove this antihalation layer first. Could you soak it in water first and then dry it before you expose it to get the highlight glow of HIE? Has anyone tried this? If not, I might give it a whirl one day, but I don't have a good way to dry the negatives in total darkness. I'd be afraid to hit them with a hairdryer (the heating coil gives off some visible light, and I'm sure more IR, which would probably fog the film), and don't want to sit in my darkroom (bathroom) doing nothing long enough for them dry. I also don't know enough about chemistry to know if this would ruin the film. It seems like the kind of thing someone else would have tried if it works, so I thought I'd ask.

Re: Handling IR Films

I would worry the wash would also remove the sensitising dye. If you knew for sure it didn't you can dry the film on a developing reel using forced air heating the air remotely.