Thread: Reinhel/Kostiner 10x10 enlarger

Reinhel/Kostiner 10x10 enlarger

Anyone have hands on experience with one of these that could comment on the ease of use, overall impression, etc. I'm thinking parts are hard to come by.

Thanks

Re: Reinhel/Kostiner 10x10 enlarger

Not heard of them before, so have no experience.

Given the fact you are bringing this up would indicate you may have a line on one.

There are likely few parts for any 10x10 enlargers, so if you are looking at one make sure it is as complete as you can get it, otherwise you might have to get fabricated any mechanical parts for it.

If it has significant electronic controls or systems, you would be in an extremely difficult position with regards to spares and service, and you may want to consider that a deal-breaker, unless you can find an alternate solution (e.g. switch from an electronic controlled closed-loop colour head, and substitute a "dumb" B&W or colour head)...

Might help others if you provided more information.

Good luck to you if you are looking at going that route...

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Not heard of them before, so have no experience.

Given the fact you are bringing this up would indicate you may have a line on one.

There are likely few parts for any 10x10 enlargers, so if you are looking at one make sure it is as complete as you can get it, otherwise you might have to get fabricated any mechanical parts for it.

If it has significant electronic controls or systems, you would be in an extremely difficult position with regards to spares and service, and you may want to consider that a deal-breaker, unless you can find an alternate solution (e.g. switch from an electronic controlled closed-loop colour head, and substitute a "dumb" B&W or colour head)...

Might help others if you provided more information.

Good luck to you if you are looking at going that route...
    I second your recommendations Len. It is all about ensuring you have all of the components on hand as well as verifying they are up and properly running. Having looked at these enlargers previously (and having seen what I believe was the post where one was for sale) the short effective column seems limiting in terms of enlarging lenses and enlargement ratios. I would surely go through the process of putting an 8x10 negative in the negative carrier and take it the enlarger through the set up to making an exposure to see that all is in line.

As well as electronic components, optical components (i.e. condensers for all the format you may want to use) could also be difficult to source...

Thanks Len and Michael for your input. This enlarger was used by a commercial photographer and kept in very nice condition. FWIW, I did end up thoroughly looking over the enlarger and bought it for a nominal price. The enlarger's design is fairly basic and I don't think I should have too much trouble keeping it serviceable. The same estate sale had a Saunders LPL that sold for $250 the week before.

Can you post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by jforney_54 View Post
    Thanks Len and Michael for your input. This enlarger was used by a commercial photographer and kept in very nice condition. FWIW, I did end up thoroughly looking over the enlarger and bought it for a nominal price. The enlarger's design is fairly basic and I don't think I should have too much trouble keeping it serviceable. The same estate sale had a Saunders LPL that sold for $250 the week before.
    Get it in the darkroom and make a print with an 8x10 negative. That is where the rubber meets the road. The design and the equipment as well as the optics will quickly tell you what the limitations of the set up are and what you have to work with. Been there and done that.