Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Shades - How do you choose the right one?

Lens Shades - How do you choose the right one?

This thought came to me when I was standing next to my 8x10 2D today. I have my 270mm apo rd artar using my 35mm Nikon system 52mm Nikon filters. Since I have several Nikon metal lenshoods The flash ignited in my brain as to what would be the best way to determine the proper size shade?

Normally I SWAG it and compare the focal length to my Nikon lenses, wide normal long? How do you choose? Is there a quick tip to select?

Funny idea today. Paul

Eric Biggerstaff

I use one of the heavy rubber hoods by Hoya ( I think that is who makes them). One hood will cover wide angle to telephoto as it will collapse to the size you need. I use just one to fit my largest lens then use step rings if needed. They cost about $20 bucks and save a lot of room.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Compendiums are best, but a pain. Just extend til you see it in the corners, then pull back.

I switched to a field camera, so I purchesed some generic rubber ones designed for med and small format. They work ok.

Next step will be a three sided shade that lays on the front standard and extends over the lens and also balances by extending over the bellows. It remains to be seen how to fasten this down.
    Perhaps a rubber band around the bottom.

Eric Biggerstaff

By the way, the Hoya multi hood is available through www.2filter.com and at is most expensive is $17.00. I have purchased from this company with no problems. The hood is listed on their product catalog page at the bottom.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric, I too use a bunch of step rings! That is how I am using my 52mm filters across several lenses. I have one 67mm metal hood that is made specific for wide angle. 6 - 52mm metal nikons and some huge series viii metal monsters. Not one rubber lenshood in the lot I found out!

Ron, I use a compendium on my Cambo view system for its real multi use funtionality. I can really see where one might be a pain in the field?

If the corners of your groundglass are clipped, looking through them as you take a prospective lensshade on and off is the best way.

I have a couple of the screw-on rubber hoods, which seem to work OK with 150mm or longer lenses. But the truth is, I seldom use those; I figure I have a great lens shade in my hand the moment I pull the darkslide from a holder.

Ernest, if the corners are gone (I think all my cameras have clipped corners) "What exactly am I looking for?"

I'm a bit puzzled here, Paul

Allan I have that same one! My Stilson hat works too but the wax melts in the summer Florida heat!!!