Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Solar Eclipse

Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse

There are many way to "capture the event". It helps to decide what on aspect of the event one wishes to use to describe the entirety. That will then determine how one approaches the subject/event. Multiple exposures, one long exposure, with or without the sun in the image, and so forth.

Decide what you want the image to look like, then work on the way to achieve that image. Of course, technical challenges may alter your original vision and there may have to be feed-back between the creative and technical aspects to decide on what the final image will look like.

I photographed a lunar eclispe -- one exposure every 10 minutes (8x10, 300mm -- perfect to get the whole show on one piece of film). Two or three hours or so from full moon to full moon. Everything worked perfectly except I did not increase the exposure as the portion of the moon lit up decreased. By keeping the same exposure, I underexposed the moon badly during half of the eclipse...did not show up on the film. But it was a wonderful experience. Just goes to show that some planning and research is not a bad thing!

The last partial solar eclispe we had, I photographed the side of my house (Rolleiflex) -- the plum tree's shadow was thrown there and the shadow was a bunch of partial solar eclipses. Pretty neat.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My goodness, i definately plan on experimenting before hand with solar photography. Seeing what exposures and filters work best, In a perfect world I'd have a lens that could have the sun fill half the frame with the corona in perfect detail, but even that is hard for pro digital cameras to pulll off. If I'm scanning film it will come to a decent amount of detail anyways if I can find the right set up before then

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    A solar filter is required between the sun and the film AND between the sun and your eyes.
    That's true even if you are viewing the sun's image on a ground glass.
    Depending on the camera configuration, this may be most easily done with a filter over the lens.

-Leigh
    A solar filter is ALWAYS used in front of a lens, as this prevents the optics from focusing the sun spot onto a glass or film filter inside, that could break or burn while watching... (And it cuts excess brightness flare from the viewing/taking system...)

Finding a cheap C/L telescope that a solar filter can be added safely on front will do... A welding goggle lens that can be safely placed in front of a camera lens can work with the taking end...

Be aware that during bright sunshine, there is a great amount of air turbulence due to ground heating convection currents, so even with an advanced rig, it looks like viewing through boiling water, made much worse by higher magnifications... (Most solar work is done early in the morning, or in very cold weather...)

Steve K

B & H just emailed me about having solar filters-they are anywhere from $69 to $239 bucks

In my lifetime I think I have seen all the eclipse photos that can be made. (Someone surprise me, maybe the space station transiting the event!)

I probably will not succeed but what I wish to make is a picture of a mass of people trying to capture the eclipse, with or without a camera.

Shame. I have a Hasselblad 500 with a 750mm lens which thanks to to our wonderful digital progress is inadequate.

-- Olde Jac

I want to encourage those of you in the path of the eclipse to consider the photos of shadows cast. As noted above they are totally different from normal based on a partial I saw in 1994, in Indiana. By all means get the ones of the sun but consider some point and shoots of the environment around you as it approaches totality. Even sound recordings might be interesting: the birds and insects all went to twilight mode, too. And it got quite cool out for the time of year. Sounds like fun, wish y'all the best.

Don't forget that there's another eclipse in the continental US on April 8, 2024, if you happen to screw anything up.

At least there are other chances!