Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Restrictions on wheels in Wilderness Areas?

Re: Restrictions on wheels in Wilderness Areas?

Of all the many trails I have hike in state and national forests, BLM land, and National Parks, the terrain and footing would be enough of a barrier to any wheeled contraption. And as for powered wheel barrows,, or mountain bikes, or ATM vehicles, they are very destructive. I remember hiking in the Escalante, and sinking up to the top of my boots in what turned out to be quicksand - but looked like a nice easy path. And pn slick rock the tires would be very destructive. The BLM forbids shod animals in it's lands because the hooves are destructive; but you can hire a Llama outfitter to haul your gear. We did that 3 years straight out of Bluff, but as the Llama wrangler would advise you the Llama doesn't care if the gear in the pannier is fragile or not. I would be very pissed if I hiked out in the wilderness and saw the landscape tore up by some wheeled conveyance in the middle of my composition.

And not everywhere does the world need to be made wheel chair accessible, even though I am very sympathetic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike and beethoven.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	163417

Hire a student to carry your ULF gear like Smith and Chamlee.

Mike

I mule packed into the upper range of the Gila Wilderness about 10 years ago. The trails had not been maintained in a couple years, and there were a lot of downed trees. In several parts of the trail we had to pull out a bucksaw and cut downed trees out of the trail a half dozen times per hour. The slope was so steep, you couldn't even walk mules above or below the trail to get around the tree. One of my friend's horses mis stepped, and rolled down the switchback in front of me and my two mules, wedging himself against a tree further down. Even if they allowed wheelchairs in Wilderness (and they don't, you'll be fined immediately if they catch you trying your loophole to carry cameras) you'd make it about 1 mile before crying in frustration at all the mud, rocks, bees, wind, squirrels, and a few bears. Keep wilderness wild. Take your LF photos in the National Parks with paved walking trails.

You really need to check with the place you are going. There are LOTS of National Parks and Wilderness Areas, like the Guadalupe Mountains National Park in Texas and the Wild River Wilderness, in Wyoming, that have trails that were obviously, intentionally made for horses -- in my opinion, unfortunately.

Rules change from month to month. The biggest thing for "wild" areas is "MOTORIZED" anything. They are strict about that everywhere.

If you are truly, really, in a wild area, no one will ever see you -- and it probably will NOT be a ranger. And if it were, they won't know what to do with you because they have not memorized the current rules and they won't be carrying the current rules in their back pocket. In fact, they will probably just tell you "THANKS FOR ENJOYING THE BACKCOUNTRY!!!". That's been my experience for the last 40 years -- no Llamas, mules, goats, pigs, or horses ever in tow!!! From Canada to Mexico, it's just me and my TOKO and Fuji, Mamiya. Minolta and Schnieder lenses!!! Ok, and a sore back when I return to the car. You got me there.

I can imagine a solution that creates wheelchair accessible paths deeper into our wilderness than ordinary citizens can do, disregarding the extraordinary expense which includes monitoring the paths to obviate the inevitable poseurs and exploiters in motorized off-road toys.

It's a horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I can imagine a solution that creates wheelchair accessible paths deeper into our wilderness than ordinary citizens can do, disregarding the extraordinary expense which includes monitoring the paths to obviate the inevitable poseurs and exploiters in motorized off-road toys.

It's a horror.

I don't know how you are going to ever accomplish that. I've tried to cross the Continental Divide on the Wyoming Wind River range FOUR times. Just me and a backpack full of 4x5 gear. I never made it. Someone in a wheelchair would not get out of the parking lot. OK, a blind guy climbed Mt Everest, but he did not do it himsself.

Some of my favorite projects were figuring out re-routes for trails that had been put in by horse-use 80 to 150 years before (early cattle and sheep grazing -- then hunters), but also some sections that were just badly designed and created erosion problems that could not be corrected. Many were way too steep for backpackers...and not all that kind for horses/mules. I found laying out the new trail sections quite creative and rewarding. One of the main design criteria was a trail that would have minumum maintenance needs in the future. My last summer working those trails was 1990. Even with little or no maintance done since then, it is nice to see my handy work 30 or so years after I had pounded the ground.

As far as bikes and carts in the wilds, I am not a bad tracker -- certainly not a good one -- but I could follow the track of a wheeled device pretty easily in the wilderness. And nothing like a continous line to gather water and increase erosion!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

OK, if you want a REAL challenge -- with or without a wheelchair or a 4x5 camera, try the BASS trail on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. You'll need, and be able to get, a NP permit because only CRAZY people go there. Expect the Wilderness permit provider to drill you about your canyon history. You will see no one else there. But you will get GREAT pictures. Getting the camera back out of the canyon? That's an other thing thing entirely. IF you have two hands and two feet you MIGHT be able to do it. And watch out for the rattlesnakes on the ledges!!! They will NOT ask you if you are using a "wheeled device".

I have done the loop twice with the 4x5 down from Hermits Rest, along the Tonto Trail, then up the South Bass Trail and return to Hermits Rest hiking along the rim...many years ago! Doubt if I'll make it down the North Bass Trail at this stage in my life, but it is good to know it is there! Spent a little time off trail on the north side, but most on trail on the south side. Beautiful place. Can't say I ever caught the place successfully photographically. So it goes.

And the Grand Canyon rattlesnakes are pussy cats. Don't step on them, but the cute little pinkish things just want to get out of your way. They are know for their laid back personalities.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

I don't know how you are going to ever accomplish that. I've tried to cross the Continental Divide on the Wyoming Wind River range FOUR times. Just me and a backpack full of 4x5 gear. I never made it. Someone in a wheelchair would not get out of the parking lot.
    Until that Tesla guy gets involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Until that Tesla guy gets involved.
    He'll have to figure out how to get over waist deep snow. OK, a drone on a 4x5. Then I won't need to go there at all.