Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does stopping down a lens cover edge imperfections/separation/fungus/etc.?

Re: Does stopping down a lens cover edge imperfections/separation/fungus/etc.?

I herewith give thee a load of gumption. Go for it. I had 4 vertebrae stuck together a few months back so I know where you're coming from re no heavy lifting. I had weighed the Technika before the surgery and at my first follow up I asked for the OK to lift it and he said as long as I held it close to the body and not way out in front of my I'd be good to go for 10 - 12 pounds. So I did.

Thanks, Jim! You sound like you could be me: four fused vertabrae. I'm not quite ready, but I'm getting there. Physical therapy starts next week. I'm going a bit stir crazy. I have some old film that I want to practice with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    I think of fungus as a something that is relatively uncommon
    I can assure you from personal experience that it is all but uncommon. With lenses over a few decades old, it's in fact very common, but like you said, it can often be removed entirely if it's still at an early stage. As it progresses, it will damage coatings and the actual glass of lens elements beyond any recovery. I have personally handled examples of this, as well as cleaned several lenses with early fungus growth symptoms. In cases where the fungus is confined to a few smaller spots, it usually has no apparent effect on image quality. In cases where it has progressed extensively with fungus covering a significant surface area, the lens may become entirely unusable, as if you're photographing through frosted glass (which, in fact, you are).
    So I agree with what you said, apart from the 'uncommon' bit. It is, in fact, very common. I'm sure many people on here will corroborate this from first-hand experience.

I guess I've been lucky: I've had, I'm sure, well over a hundred old lenses pass through my hands, and have only seen fungus in maybe three or four. Of course, I would not normally buy a lens if I knew it had fungus on it, unless it was very inexpensive, so there's that. Still, four percent might be considered common for such a nasty issue.

Take care of yourself, get the lens cleaned, (worth it), in that order, and make some photos. I wish you all the best in your efforts.

Thanks! That's just what I'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I can assure you from personal experience that it is all but uncommon.

I'm sure many people on here will corroborate this from first-hand experience.
    Maybe it didn't dawn on you that the personal experience is completely dependent on the climate you live in? I live in a very dry climate and saw a fungus attacked lens only when I lived in a humid climate. Go figure.