Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Surgical Gloves with Amidol and Pyro

Using Surgical Gloves with Amidol and Pyro

Greetings,

Which type of surgical gloves (e.g., Latex, rubber, neoprene, etc.,) are the most impervious to both Amidol and Pyro?

It's my understanding that not all surgical gloves are completely resistant to all chemicals.

For example, ordinary examination gloves will begin to dissolve on contact with lacquer thinner.

What should I look for to avoid chemical exposure to both Amidol and Pyro?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Greg

I use Nitrile gloves.

leec

Nitrile is *much* better than latex for chemical resistance, and they don't cost much more (a few cents a pair when you buy a box, less difference than that by the case).

A wash bucket won't help you if the gloves leak, BTW -- the place you *need* the wash, between glove and skin, won't get enough water to bother, even if the glove has a hole that's letting chemical in. If you have an allergy or other reason to keep stuff off your hands (and pyro is good enough reason), wear nitrile gloves and either wear *two* pair, or discard and replace frequently -- every time you take them off for any reason, and every time you do something that could abrade or snag the glove.

Gloves are cheap. Being permanently locked out of the darkroom by a sensitivity isn't.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I've seen frequent references to nitrile gloves, but I don't have the faintest idea what they are or where to obtain them. Is nitrile some sort of plastic? Do they come in sizes? Are they made for medical use, or am I more likely to find them at a hardware store?

Greg, do a google search for nitrile gloves, should answer your questions and give you plenty of links.

Greetings,

I would like to thank everyone so far in responding to my questions.

I take darkroom safety very seriously, especially when handling poisonous substances like Pyro and Amidol.

In a workshop I took with Morley Bear, he indicated that among the old-time large format shooters in the Carmel area, there was some concern that too much exposure to Pyro could possibly lead to kidney failure. He indicated that wearing surgical gloves was a good idea.

I will be building my darkroom soon, and I plan to use both Pyro and Amidol when developing and printing my 8 x 10-inch negatives. Not only will I use darkroom exhaust fans that will give me a complete air exchange every three minutes, I also plan to wear the Nitrile gloves that have been recommended here along with a full-face respirator that will allow me to breathe outside air. This respirator is the one often used in auto painting shops and usually costs about $575.

As for where to find the Nitrile gloves, I came across the following URL:

http://www.gemplers.com/keywords/nitrile-gloves.asp

Best regards,

Greg

One more vote for nitrile gloves.

Photographer's Formulary sells several different types of gloves. I don't remember exactly what material they are but I used them for years with different chemicals, inlcuding pyro and Amidol, and never had a problem. When I investigated Nitrile gloves a few years ago the places I found sold them only in huge quantities, more than I'd likely need in a lifetime. Perhaps I missed places that sold in smaller quantities. The nice thing about Nitrile, from what I've read, is that you can actually dry them off so that they don't have to be removed when handling dry film or paper as you do (or as I did) with other materials.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Try nitriledirect.com, or med-express.com. Less than $5 per box of 100 disposables. These are decent and just as good as the ones sold for $13 per box by the photo stores.

You can find nitrile gloves at safety supply stores like Vallen supply. They are commonly used in the environmental field and are sold very cheap in boxes of 100 or more.