Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ULF Camera Cart

Re: ULF Camera Cart

Quote Originally Posted by Tav Walraven View Post
    These are pretty cool and have a 500 lb capacity for $75.

http://www.discountramps.com/game-ca...FYe2wAod2zQK1w

I'd get rid of the solid tires and put the inflatable ones on it for the $25 they want. Just strap on your 300 WinMag to the side of your 12x20 and when you're done, bag some dinner and head home with everything you shot during the day....Just sayin'
    Thanks! Nice option. Surely the large inflatable wheels would get you over most reasonable terrain with a ULF camera in that sizable platform. And the price seems very reasonable.

Michael: to respond in detail . . .

Please. Why do we have to jump to the most emotionally charged scenario possibly involved.

As a visually impaired LF photographer I may be a little more sensitive (over-sensitive ?) to these issues than folks in full health. I apologies for picking extreme examples.

’I am damn glad that they have these rules by the way or you would have every knucklehead on his ATV blasting through the area with no regard to others like it is in public areas.’

Of course powered vehicles like ATVs, trail bikes . . .AND wheel chairs with tank tracks . . .should be barred. It is my feeling that a wheel barrow, dolly or jogging stroller should be allowed; manually operated wheelchairs too.

Furthermore: Wilderness areas ARE "public areas" and persons with disabilities have every right to attempt access as anyone else.

"By the way there are plenty of ways a person with disabilities can enjoy the outdoors. It is called the National Forest and they have infinite mobility and access."

This is not just condescending, but approaches the "Separate-But-Equal" attitude in the old days of the Jim Crow South.

"Reality check. Being at 10,000 ft elevation with rapidly challenging weather conditions in terrain a mountain goat would have problems with is no place for anyone disabled."

Again condescension: Because you have full use of your limbs and senses you know better? Plenty of completely fit mountaineers have made those types of high country mistakes . . .and died. The trail to Everest's summit is littered with them. Physical wholeness or disability have no correlation with lack of judgment.

In any case, we are not talking about getting a paraplegic to the Boulder Field at Long's Peak on a trail bike (granted, its not a wilderness area, but it is a high country trail that I know). This discussion of wilderness area regulations began with the thought of pulling a dolly full of LF photo gear off the parking lot and up a trail a ways.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 2-Apr-2017 at 13:47.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Michael: to respond in detail . . .

Please. Why do we have to jump to the most emotionally charged scenario possibly involved.

As a visually impaired LF photographer I may be a little more sensitive (over-sensitive ?) to these issues than folks in full health. I apologies for picking extreme examples.

’I am damn glad that they have these rules by the way or you would have every knucklehead on his ATV blasting through the area with no regard to others like it is in public areas.’

Of course powered vehicles like ATVs, trail bikes . . .AND wheel chairs with tank tracks . . .should be barred. It is my feeling that a wheel barrow, dolly or jogging stroller should be allowed; manually operated wheelchairs too.

Furthermore: Wilderness areas ARE "public areas" and persons with disabilities have every right to attempt access as anyone else.

"By the way there are plenty of ways a person with disabilities can enjoy the outdoors. It is called the National Forest and they have infinite mobility and access."

This is not just condescending, but approaches the "Separate-But-Equal" attitude in the old days of the Jim Crow South.

"Reality check. Being at 10,000 ft elevation with rapidly challenging weather conditions in terrain a mountain goat would have problems with is no place for anyone disabled."

Again condescension: Because you have full use of your limbs and senses you know better? Plenty of completely fit mountaineers have made those types of high country mistakes . . .and died. The trail to Everest's summit is littered with them. Physical wholeness or disability have no correlation with lack of judgment.

In any case, we are not talking about getting a paraplegic to the Boulder Field at Long's Peak on a trail bike (granted, its not a wilderness area, but it is a high country trail that I know). This discussion of wilderness area regulations began with the thought of pulling a dolly full of LF photo gear off the parking lot and up a trail a ways.
    All of this is completely off topic so I will respectfully get back to the topic at hand.

Fact. Federal Wilderness areas have defined rules for able bodied individuals that prohibit wheels of any kind for a reason. I am just pointing this out to the readers. It is entirely possible that persons with disabilities have a whole list of exceptions within Wilderness areas that I am completely unaware of that are in the same vein as special parking passes which I have no problems with. The many Wilderness areas I have visited in Colorado are in fact steep and challenging for able bodied individuals. That is precisely the draw to these areas - because they are very difficult to get into let alone photograph with LF equipment. Plus for the most part you have the place to yourself. I am not digging on anyone, I am just calling it like I experienced it.

The question of carts and wheel chairs has been definitively answered in the Travel Forum by a former Ranger who managed a wilderness area for years.

Summery: Carts, dollies etc definatly not allowed.

But wheelchairs, both electric and manual, ARE allowed wherever you can make it go.

Having worked in Aa VA Hospityal for twelve years, I have seen about every type of wheelchair. Many of them would be able to carry a LF or ULFsized load for short distances over Golf Course type ground. So one could go from the parking lot to . . .over there in a Federal Wilderness Area.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've been meaning to get one of these that friends use when racing open canoe slalom course. Makes it easy as hell to get back to the start and they usually stack a couple of canoes to save time. Total weights would be around 240 lbs for three whitewater canoes. Wouldn't be hard to attach a platform for either a Pelican case or camera backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sport...rds=canoe+cart

I ended up getting this and thinking of adding larger, maybe 24" tires. I didn't pay this price however For those who know MEC (like REI), it's become less self propelled and more car camping (think Coleman two burner stove/oven type of gear and rocking camping chairs that cost around $200.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5052-8...mall-Boat-Cart

that Kill Shot cart linked above looks pretty sweet.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Nearly everyone posting in this thread have contributed valid viewpoints and presented them with well meaning intent. I appreciate that.

On re-reading this thread, I think there is a misunderstanding. Many posts here suggest alternatives to Federal Wilderness Areas for persons with physical limitations; all of them wonderful places and the suggestions reasonable. A few contributors do seem a little annoyed that someone would want to force the issue of bringing wheels into the wilderness.

What is missed is that I am not advocating for wheelchair accessible pathways in the wilderness areas. However, it IS my position that a physically limited person should not be fined for trying to use an assistive device to get as far away from the car as is possible, given the terrain as it exists in nature. . . .just because it has wheels.

A forum member wrote this to me in a private message.

"At the end of the day we need to be respectful (of each other) because we are collectively in this game together. As photographers we need to unite on the craft and art."

and I agree with him.

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Thanks! Nice option. Surely the large inflatable wheels would get you over most reasonable terrain with a ULF camera in that sizable platform. And the price seems very reasonable.

Ordered one of these. Will see how I like it when it gets here! L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 4-Apr-2017 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post

Ordered one of these. Will see how I like it when it gets here! L
    Link didn't work....(unless you're pulling our legs).

notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Thanks, that works. Luis-F-S, can you post a photo once have it loaded up with the Deardorff?