Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF Camera Cart

Re: ULF Camera Cart

Really neat, Tav, but since I'm not mechanically inclined, I'd like to adapt something off the shelf. We also don't have a Costco in New Orleans Michael, but will look for something similar once you post a photo!

Below are some pics of the folding cart I use for my V11. Folds flat for the vehicle and has a large base platform and keeps the load low and with bunge cords it works fine for my application. The platform is 15" deep and 19" wide and stands 45" tall fully open. The wheels have a diameter of 8 inches. Folded it is 28" x 19" x3". I have seen these at office supply stores and maybe even on Amazon.

Have a Great Day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ULF Cart 3.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	163305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ULF 1.jpeg 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	163306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ULF Cart 2.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	163307
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 31-Mar-2017 at 08:49. Reason: additional data

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Really neat, Tav, but since I'm not mechanically inclined, I'd like to adapt something off the shelf. We also don't have a Costco in New Orleans Michael, but will look for something similar once you post a photo!
    Yes, Tav, great to see the close-up photos of your rig but not that mechanically adept either, at least not when left to my own devices. These close-up's help alot.

So I'm with Luis-F-S for now in wanting to see Michael's cart...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Below are some pics of the folding cart I use for my V11. Folds flat for the vehicle and has a large base platform and keeps the load low and with bunge cords it works fine for my application. The platform is 15" deep and 19" wide and stands 45" tall fully open. The wheels have a diameter of 8 inches. Folded it is 28" x 19" x3". I have seen these at office supply stores and maybe even on Amazon.

Have a Great Day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ULF Cart 3.jpeg 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	163305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ULF 1.jpeg 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	163306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ULF Cart 2.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	163307

Thanks, Michael. How well do the wheels work on moderately uneven terrain, grass, dirt, gravel? I'm not necessarily hauling that far but usually the ground is a bit rough.

New Orleans, LA

Hey Luis, we do have a Costco now. Right near Carrollton and I-10.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Thanks, Michael. How well do the wheels work on moderately uneven terrain, grass, dirt, gravel? I'm not necessarily hauling that far but usually the ground is a bit rough.
    Great question Carl. For the most part grass, dirt and gravel are reasonably dealt with as the wheels at 8 inches in diameter are reasonable size for the task at hand. If the trail gets real "rough" any cart is going to struggle. In a perfect world I would rather have 16" wheels four inches wide within this low center of gravity configuration that would provide much better transport over undulated terrain, but this was the best I could come up with at the time. I borrowed a three wheel baby stroller and I found the camera case did not fit well in it. I also tried out a four wheel cart that fit the camera case but in both of these scenarios I did not like the high position of the camera case even though it is padded on all sides in case I tipped it over. I like the low center of gravity in this set up and deal with the terrain as it presents itself in managing the risk to the camera in getting it to the optimal camera site. In this regard I have been know to grab the case top handle and pick it and the cart over a small obstacle along the way if it is an anomaly. When the path gets to challenging I grab the 8x10 in a backpack.

I used one like Michael is showing before the Samsonite was overhauled. It worked fine. I already had the suitcase done for the camera and just strapped it onto the rolling cart shown. The tripod and other gear would also sit on top, etc. The only issue were the solid tires on rough terrain hence the Samsonite build got the larger inflatable tires. Big Bend requires either soft tires or a mule. Some assembly required on both!

Hi Tav,

I like that approach, samsonite suitcase (or equivalent) with rolling cart, and then figure out how to modify the suitcase as in the photos.

Thanks.

lab black

I also use the same exact cart that Michael posted, for every format up to and including 8x10. It has proven to be extremely rugged.

For ULF, when on a flat surface such as a sidewalk, I use a folding 4 wheel cart;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._in1_hand.html

https://www.uline.com/BL_1885/8-In-1...folding%20cart (10 in. wheels)

For trail use or soft surfaces, I use a UPS style dolly that I modified with larger, inflatable wheels.

https://www.magliner.com/product/spe...ng-hand-trucks
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Foamer

Nobody uses a donkey any more?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!