Thread: Re fixing an Albumen print

Re fixing an Albumen print

Hello all,
    Today I have been doing some Albumen printing. I could not get hot water and the fixer was very cold, I would say around 15ºC. I was using two baths of 15% “Hypo” and as the temperature was quite low I gave the print 5 min in each baths. The print looked like it was fine but as by experience I know badly fixed Albumens can start getting yellow highlights even after a few days, I was thinking to re fix the print tomorrow. I have never tried before. It would somehow be a bad idea?, can be done?.
    Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Javier

Re: Re fixing an Albumen print

Can be done and should be no problem, although I doubt it will make much of a difference. 2x5mins in 15% hypo at 15C is already quite extensive despite the lower temperature. Also, I suspect that if there's any damage, it will already be done by the time the print dries over a couple of days; you may not get remaining silver or hypo complexes to 'fix' out anymore. But it won't hurt to try.
    Them albumen prints sure are a b*tch to fix and wash properly...

Highlights in Albumen prints will always stay yellowish anyway no matter how long you fix, it's inherent to the system..

Cor

Unless you tint the albumen a bit to counteract the yellow, which is a thing. I've seen the results; can be very appealing with the right subject.

Robert

Tinting with what Robert? I've tinted salt prints with watercolors, but the glossy albumen surface doesn't allow the watercolors to penetrate like the surface of salt prints.

Bruce, the trick is to add the color to the albumen while liquid rather than after it has dried, and then coating the paper with it. Here is a photo of Mark Osterman demonstrating this:

D71_9470, Coating with dyed albumen by Robert Brazile, on Flickr

It's obviously global rather than local, but you don't have to go as strong as Mark did for the demonstration. I gather it depends on the subject and what you're trying to accomplish...

Robert