Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gremlins...

New Orleans, LA

gremlins...

I'm stumped. I'm getting random lines of fog/exposure/? and I cannot figure out what is causing it. They vary in width and density but generally show up on the long side of my 8x10 HP5 negs, although not always the same side. I do not think it is a camera or holder light leak as it is pretty even and does not always affect the rebate. Other negs of the same subjects (other side of the holder) do not exhibit the lines. Other negs in the same developing run may or may not exhibit the lines. I'm leaning toward defective film and intend to contact Ilford about this but thought I'd start here. Any ideas? Anyone seen something similar and located the cause?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6197.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	163038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6198.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	163039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6199.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	163040

Re: gremlins...

Tray development and you rock with your hand on a long side? Pausing a little longer in one point of the cycle? It is not the same side of the holder, so I think you may rule that out, as you say.

Is this a scan or a pic of it on a light table? Sometimes scanning you get a look like the first one if the film isn't flat and it's really not a bad negative.

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    Tray development and you rock with your hand on a long side? Pausing a little longer in one point of the cycle? It is not the same side of the holder, so I think you may rule that out, as you say.
    Graham, I shuffle 4 - 6 films in a tray. I continuously keep them moving and I have them all oriented the same way, i.e. the notches are all in the same corner.

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Is this a scan or a pic of it on a light table? Sometimes scanning you get a look like the first one if the film isn't flat and it's really not a bad negative.
    jp these are just iphone shots.

Try taking an unexposed sheet out of the box and process it...? If it has this same problem then it sounds like it is the film. If not, then could it be that the film is getting some exposure as you are loading the film holders in your dark room, or unloading the holders before processing...?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Try taking an unexposed sheet out of the box and process it...? If it has this same problem then it sounds like it is the film. If not, then could it be that the film is getting some exposure as you are loading the film holders in your dark room, or unloading the holders before processing...?
    Randy,

I've already shot all the film from that box but you might be on to something. I've moved darkrooms since I shot that film. I'll have to look back through the film I've had problems with and see if it was loaded in the old darkroom. The most recent film that I shot since being in the new darkroom was FP-4 and I didn't have any problems with it. That's what made me think it might be the film but it may have been the film that I loaded in the old darkroom. Thanks!

The two portrait images have the artifact on the edge away from the notch code. The landscape image has the artifact on the notch code. Do you have a revolving back? Seems like a camera-related thing.

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    The two portrait images have the artifact on the edge away from the notch code. The landscape image has the artifact on the notch code. Do you have a revolving back? Seems like a camera-related thing.
    Exactly, that's what has me stymied that the density changes in location and width. This is with a KMV camera and I keep the darkcloth over the back when exposing and other images from the same setups are fine. Plus it seems if it was a light leak from the back it would be more intense and not as evenly distributed? But I can't rule out anything at this point.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

From the definition of the fog/development lines, I'd guess you're either...

A. Letting one negative sit on another in the developer, forming a development mark, or

B. Fogging your film before development, and the lines are from the sheets (or something else) sitting above the ones being fogged, creating a shadow, or

C. You may have similarly fogged the film while loading/unloading your holders.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."