Thread: masking for contrast control

masking for contrast control

Hello folks,
    I'm a brazilian semi pro photographer who is involved with black and white LF photography. I own a Shen Hao HZX 45 IIA along with several lenses from 47 SA XL up to Schneider 300 mm Symmar.

My question for now refers to masking techniques for contrast control. LYNN RADEKA - I'm quite sure you have heard about him - offers his what seems to be a unique system for making several types of masking procedures including a specialized negative carrier provided with pins for registering the masks.

Does anyone know this system and can supply some feedback on its use? I'm about to purchase one standard system at the cost of US$ 300.00+ from LYNN who is a very kind person by the way.

Thanks for any input.

RWS

Rodrigo:

Get the system with the anti-newton glass. It's a great system and will allow you much control. I've been using mine for about 6 months now. I've been using CRM masks mainly for increasing local contrast. I'm taking Lynn's workshop in about 2 weeks to learn first hand what all the other masks look like. I figured it will be money well spent. Don't hesitate as the kit is well worth it! Lynn is a great guy and will help you with any questions you need answered. When you talk to him tell him Bob Sandstrom says hello.

Best of luck.

Eric Biggerstaff

Rodrigo,

I do not know this masking product, but for B&W dodge / burn masks there are very simple ways to make them that do not require pin registration, you might drop Alan Ross an email or check out the View Camera website.

By the way, are you familiar with Wolfgang Sulzer. He too is a Brazilian LF photographer who is very talented (check out www.wolfgangsulzer.com), always nice to know some "local" people (well at least in the same country anyway).

Have a great day.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Bobby, I'll get the standard clear glass version. This is so because I have a TETENAL specialized product that is claimed to add a AN layer on any piece of glass. And it can be removed at will by simply rubbing it with alcohol!

Eric,
    No, I am not familiar with Wolfgang, but I'll look at his website. São Paulo is a very large city, and if he lives here, we may be neighbors, who knows? AFAIK, there are not many LF format photographers in Brazil. And I'll soon have also my own website with my works.

Eric,

I have just checked Wolfgang's web site, in a sole english version so far! He lives in Teresina, which is a city about 1,000+ miles from São Paulo. Nevertheless I'll mail him. Thanks for your information.

RWS

John Sexton likes Lynn' system, but he gave us all the required stuff for making masks at his advanced B&W workshop last November. Learned more than one would ever want know about various masking techniques. John undoubtly gives the best workshops on the Planet. We had a chance to see his new work, it is just awesome.

Eric Biggerstaff

Rodrigo,

Glad you checked out Wolf's site. When I go there it is in English, German and Portugese.

Wolf is a good friend so say hi for me when you drop him a line. I knew he probably lived far away from you but he has often told me he wished there were more B&W LF photographers in Brazil so I thought it might be nice if you two had an email connection anyway.

Gene - Nice to know the Sexton workshop was great, I took the two week version with him and it was fun. Nice guy and great work, Anne his wife is very talented as well!

Have a great day everyone!

www.ericbiggerstaff.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Rodrigo - My suggestion would be to contact Alistair Inglis.
    He makes very good masking equipment and shows you how to do it. Also, you his prices are quite reasonable. Here is his web site:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=alistair+inglis .

Lynn Radeka is an excellent photographer (among the best). For my needs I prefer a simpler system (e.g., Alistair's). Also, having visited Lynn and observing his methods, I think the many and various assorted masks he does frequently are not needed.

The most common and useful are the "Unsharp Mask" and the "Dodge/Burn Masks" (they are also the simplest). Alistair can advise you.

Robert McColloch

Hi, Rodrigo.

I'm also brazilian, living in Rio, and while not very used to masking techniques I've been working on B&W for the last 30 years so maybe I could help you somehow.
    We're really kind of small tribe here in Brazil and it's nice to know other fellows working on the neighborhood.

Seja bem-vindo!

Olá César, esqueci que vc mora no Rio e mandei um email te convidando para um café. Quando estiver em Sampa, entre em contato comigo.

To the other members: the above message is written in Portuguese. It is an invitation for a coffee break.

Cheers!