Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do all Cooke Series IIA have difussion mechanism?

Do all Cooke Series IIA have difussion mechanism?

I'm interested in finding and maybe buying a Cooke Series IIA lens as long as it is not madly expensive. Do they all have the difussion mechanism built into them? Most of the comments on here and elsewhere online suggests it does but before I look I thought I'd check given that model has different designs.

BC

Re: Do all Cooke Series IIA have difussion mechanism?

The IIA is the F3.5 version and was only made with the diffusion device. It is uncommon.

The IIB is the more common version and again was made only with diffusion adjustment. The IIB was replaced by the IIE which, I believe it is pretty much the same lens. This was a coated lens after WW2.

The IIC (often called the home portrature lens) is the same as the IIB - BUT WITHOUT DIFFUSION!

B, C and E are all F.4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The IIA is the F3.5 version and was only made with the diffusion device. It is uncommon.

The IIB is the more common version and again was made only with diffusion adjustment. The IIB was replaced by the IIE which, I believe it is pretty much the same lens. This was a coated lens after WW2.

The IIC (often called the home portrature lens) is the same as the IIB - BUT WITHOUT DIFFUSION!

Thanks Steven, that's useful info on the options with the series II? Cooke lenses. I had a IIA as my first choice but maybe they will be too difficult to find or too expensive. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

Read the catalogue at cameraeccentric for more details.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/cooke_2.html

Originally, the IIA was about 60% more expensive than the IIB (comparing the most common 27cm model).
    Note that coverage, is reduced on the F3.5 compared with the F4.5. To cover full plate (16x21cm) you would need the 27cm model of the IIB, but the larger size, 32cm, of the IIA series.

If you add up the noted sales of these two model (A and B/E) in the soft sales list at CCHarrison's wedsite you can see how "common" the IIA is in the market.

Steven, I believe the IIE is ƒ/5.6.

Nope. The Cooke IIE is very much a F4.5. I have had two, one from the 30's and one post-war coated.

The series VI are the slower ones with larger coverage.

And here is the KODAK UK catalogue from 1934 with both the D and E. I have never seen the D - which is also an F3.5 -but the E is quite common (in Europe, at least).

Sorry about inversion - can't work out why it uploads like this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

The IIA is the F3.5 version and was only made with the diffusion device...
    Maybe for the Cooke Portrait Lens.. I Have a Cooke Anastigmat serie IIa 3.5 8" without diffusion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161216_135008.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	162870

Quote Originally Posted by jaytral View Post
    Maybe for the Cooke Portrait Lens.. I Have a Cooke Anastigmat serie IIa 3.5 8" without diffusion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161216_135008.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	162870
    If correct that's useful to know, is there anything unique or different about this lens then?

I have looked though Lens Vade Mecum.

The series II was a very popular lens lens and is found in many varieties as camera makers could place large orders for a specific camera requirement.

The IIA was introduced as an F.3.5 lens for amateurs and as a press camera lens. Not so many were made and the markings are different.

As far as I can see, there should be no difficulty in sorting them out as long as you can view the side of the lens or read the text. The focal lengths you should look for are 10.5", 12.5" and 15" (for 8x10"). Shorter ones have fixed lenses.

Nope. The Cooke IIE is very much a F4.5. I have had two, one from the 30's and one post-war coated.

The series VI are the slower ones with larger coverage.

And here is the KODAK UK catalogue from 1934 with both the D and E. I have never seen the D - which is also an F3.5 -but the E is quite common (in Europe, at least).

Sorry about inversion - can't work out why it uploads like this!
    My mistake. I stand corrected. Thanks.