Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: prevention of film holder light leaks

Re: prevention of film holder light leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Yes, film holders are conceived in such a way that if properly working they can be used in direct sunlight
    That's true of new filmholders.

But a filmholder is only new once.
    As soon as you remove and replace the darkslide, the holder is no longer new.

Since you have to do that to load the holder in the first place...
    NO holder in use is new, regardless of how long you've had it or how many times it's been used.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    That's true of new filmholders.

But a filmholder is only new once.
    As soon as you remove and replace the darkslide, the holder is no longer new.

Since you have to do that to load the holder in the first place...
    NO holder in use is new, regardless of how long you've had it or how many times it's been used.

- Leigh
    For you I will say it differently - film holders are conceived in such a way, that they can be used properly for many years even in direct sunlight. They are not auto-destructive once you have moved the dark slide. My Fidelity film holders have been working properly for some tens of years now. YMMV.

My Fidelity film holders have been working properly for some tens of years now. YMMV.
    So have mine, but that's a meaningless statement.

Anyone can go through life thinking that failures always happen to someone else, and nothing bad will ever happen.
    That's just silly.

It's a difference in philosophy, based on your lack of understanding of reality.

When (not if) a failure occurs, I'll come home with good negatives. Yours will be ruined.

- Leigh

Have a good time with your film holders. I have a good time with mine. The end of philosophy.

rolee,

Super tests. I'd add one more thing for you to be careful of. Often, one can pull the spring back with filmholder away from the seat in the camera back when removing the darkslide. Using the fingers and thumb of one hand to pinch the spring back and camera body together when pulling and re-inserting the darkslide will prevent this. Do check the filmholder seat for light leaks as well.

And yes, Pfsor is correct; properly working filmholders can be used without covering the opening with no problems. That said, I've ruined too many otherwise good negatives with light-trap light leaks with holders that (even afterwards) test just fine. For me, better safe than sorry; I keep the light-trap opening covered with something whenever practical. It's standard procedure for me to simply hold the darkslide over the opening for most shots. When I have to wait a longer time with the darkslide out, I'll use the darkcloth. When out in the field, where I usually wear a baseball cap of the like, I'll just hang my hat over the opening.

Re. darkcloths: They don't have to be heavy and bulky. One that I use often in Europe is simply a piece of white ripstop nylon and a thin piece of black sateen sewed together. I've got self-adhesive Velcro on the edges so I can close the opening under the camera and get things really dark. I weighs a few ounces. In the States, I have a larger white GoreTex and velveteen darkcloth. It is Superman-cape size, doubles as a rain poncho and reflector and still rolls up to a very small bundle that straps on the back of my pack. I carry it always even though I don't always use it.

Best,

Doremus

I always keep the Darkslide Slot shaded when the Darkslide is out of the slot.

The easiest way I have found to do this, is to keep the camera with the sun on the other side.

Alternatively, I either use my head or body as a sun shade or just my hand to keep the slot in shadow as the darkslide is removed - and then use the darkslide as a flag to shade the slot during the actual shot.

I never use my darkcloth to cover the camera and/or film holder as a shade when taking the shot - there is far too much sail area - and an unexpected guest of wind (aren't they all) can/does blow the camera over.

Personally, I like the fact I have the darkslide in one hand as a press the shutter using the other - that way I know its not in the light path.

There are a couple of other things to watch out for :-

Firstly - is the film holder properly "home" in the back of the camera.
    I sometimes find it tricky if I'm stretching to insert the film holder to know if the holder is well and truly locked in to position.
    I have now taken to giving the film holdera good tug and wiggle to make sure its inserted properly.

Secondly - light leaks around the edges of the film aperture of darkslide/film holder.
    Again, I try and shade the film holders with my body when I get them out of my camera bag.
    When the film holders are in my camera bag, I always position the bag so the lid of the bag will act as a sun shade - or use something else hat/coat/darkcloth/.... to keep the film holders in the shade as much as possible.

Hope this helps

Martin

Rolee,
    as you are new to LF photography, don't condemn yourself to years of working with defective film holders. Bellows, cameras, film holders are all conceived to work properly in daylight without need of covering them with dark clothes and hoping it will work!
    I have never needed to cover my cameras or film holders with anything while enjoying taking pictures. At most I take care of not pushing the dark slide sideways when pulling it from the film holder.
    If your film holder doesn't work as it should repair it or get new ones, properly working. Anything else is just giving up on the pleasure of taking pictures with correctly working equipment.
    If you want to have years of satisfactory photography start with good working equipment first - it is well worth it! Just my 2 cents.
    This is wise counsel. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

If you want to have years of satisfactory photography start with good working equipment first - it is well worth it!
    I certainly agree with that.

I've also been doing this long enough to know that sometimes stuff happens.
    A bit of effort expended to guarantee that a problem won't turn into a failure is cheap insurance.

- Leigh

My leakers go into a cannibal box. Parts will be harvested to repair other film holders.
    I won't sell a leaker--- it just ain't right!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    My leakers go into a cannibal box.
    If I ever found one that was demonstrably leaking, it would migrate to the trash can instantly.

So far that hasn't happened.

But I've only been shooting LF for 57 years, so maybe I've been lucky.

- Leigh