Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    I'd like to learn what technical differences have Delta 100 vs TMX for LF.

    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1938422338.pdf
    http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites...6_TMax_100.pdf


    spectral response

    TMX to me has a more orthopanchromatic look, while Delta looks more panchro to me.

    These are the curves, Kodak one is more scientific...

    I don't know if ergs vs spectrogram are a bit different information.

    To me there it looks that TMX has practical relative lower red sensitivity...


    Attachment 162717

    Do you think Delta 100 vs TMX spectral look can be mostly matched with blue or yellow filters ???



    density curves

    Kodak datasheet is much better, showing density build up until 3.0D.

    Ilford datasheet only shows practical use range, this is until 2.0D

    Is there a real difference?



    sharpness

    Do Delta 100 match TMX resolving power ?

    Can this be detected given resolving power of LF lenses ?

    Can it be detected in prints or scans


    reciprocity failure

    This is clear, TMX has less. It's the single real technical performance difference I found for LF?



    grain

    I figure it has no importance for LF, as both tabular. perhaps there is an slight difference in small formats...
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 18-Mar-2017 at 13:10.

  2. #2
    Pastafarian supremo Rick A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Laurel Highlands, Pa., USA
    Posts
    607

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    While I've shot both, I don't care for either. I do like the Delta more, but only for processing, fixes out "cleaner", no (or not as much) magenta dye to wash out. I'm all for "old school" grain in my photos, and think tabular grain films appear digital (IMO).
    edit: I never scan my negatives. I print in the darkroom using a variety of methods.
    Rick Allen

    Argentum Aevum

    practicing Pastafarian

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    This thread is a transparent element in your campaign to convince LF photographers they should boycott Kodak sheet film. It just so happens that, in my opinion, 100 DELTA is, in most respects, a better choice than TMX. However, the best choice among these two is "none of the above."

    Since TMX manufacturing was moved to Bldg. 38 and, some years later, TMY-2 was introduced to replace TMY, the best choice has been TMY-2. Especially when developed in XTOL, there's no more versatile sheet film than TMY-2.

    Please don't rant about Kodak prices. If you are not interested in or capable of paying them, buy all the 100 DELTA you'd like. Making the choice of film a political crusade at this Web site is not appropriate.

  4. #4

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    I support kodak anyway I can. never liked tmax100 but love tmy2 as it is my go to film...have played with delta 100 a bit and I like it...
    I use what I need to to get the results I want...
    thank you Sal for speaking up! this is a photography site; let's keep it that way!!

  5. #5
    IanG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aegean (Turkey & UK)
    Posts
    4,122

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    I've shot a lot of both films and like them both. I switched to Delta 100 because of real difficulties finding Tmax 100 (or any other Kodak B&W film) while living and traveling abroad (Turkey and South america), Ilford and surprisingly Foma films were easy to find.

    I get superb results with both films, some don't like Tmax and Delta films but I'm happy to use either, you'd see the differences more with smaller formats but only if you shot the films side by side, by the time you compare prints of differing subjects there's nothing in it, I'd say the same with Fomapan 100 & 200 which I also use.

    Sal brings up the issue of political choices but reality is it's often the effects of exchange rates US/UK/EU/Japan that affect film pricing in different markets.

    Ian

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...Making the choice of film a political crusade at this Web site is not appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    ...Sal brings up the issue of political choices but reality is it's often the effects of exchange rates US/UK/EU/Japan that affect film pricing in different markets...
    My mention of a political crusade was not intended to reference national or partisan politics. Rather, it concerned this thread


    in which the prices of Kodak LF film, regardless of local market, are cited as reason for a boycott of those products.

  7. #7
    IanG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aegean (Turkey & UK)
    Posts
    4,122

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    My mention of a political crusade was not intended to reference national or partisan politics. Rather, it concerned this thread


    in which the prices of Kodak LF film, regardless of local market, are cited as reason for a boycott of those products.
    We had the same thing with Ilford price rises a few years ago, it's unfortunately reality.

    Ian

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    This thread is a transparent element in your campaign to convince LF photographers they should boycott Kodak sheet film. It just so happens that, in my opinion, 100 DELTA is, in most respects, a better choice than TMX. However, the best choice among these two is "none of the above."

    Since TMX manufacturing was moved to Bldg. 38 and, some years later, TMY-2 was introduced to replace TMY, the best choice has been TMY-2. Especially when developed in XTOL, there's no more versatile sheet film than TMY-2.

    Please don't rant about Kodak prices. If you are not interested in or capable of paying them, buy all the 100 DELTA you'd like. Making the choice of film a political crusade at this Web site is not appropriate.
    Not at all, here I'm not say a word aganist Kodak or Ilford. I like TMAX: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

    Just want to know real difference between D100 and TMX.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I've shot a lot of both films and like them both. I switched to Delta 100 because of real difficulties finding Tmax 100 (or any other Kodak B&W film) while living and traveling abroad (Turkey and South america), Ilford and surprisingly Foma films were easy to find.

    I get superb results with both films, some don't like Tmax and Delta films but I'm happy to use either, you'd see the differences more with smaller formats but only if you shot the films side by side, by the time you compare prints of differing subjects there's nothing in it, I'd say the same with Fomapan 100 & 200 which I also use.

    Sal brings up the issue of political choices but reality is it's often the effects of exchange rates US/UK/EU/Japan that affect film pricing in different markets.

    Ian

    I'd ask if you think that, because different spectral response, one can make TMX look like D100 by using a pale yellow filter ?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    My mention of a political crusade was not intended to reference national or partisan politics. Rather, it concerned this thread


    in which the prices of Kodak LF film, regardless of local market, are cited as reason for a boycott of those products.
    Hello Sal,

    This was another thread, I'd ask to focus here in discussing about technical and practical differences D100 vs TMX for LF form users that use both. Here I'd like not speaking at all about pricing or boycots, of preference for brands. Just technical discussion.

    Regards

Similar Threads

  1. The quality and technical differences in Process lenses at 600mm and longer?
    By Asher Kelman in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 6-Aug-2019, 17:35
  2. Differences between CPE-2 and CPE-2 Plus
    By jrpac in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2010, 07:00
  3. Reciprocity calculation for Delta 100 and Delta 400
    By timbo10ca in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-Dec-2008, 10:09
  4. Technical versus non-technical approaches - which?
    By Robert McClure in forum On Photography
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 7-Jan-2006, 14:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •