Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Years ago, John Sexton told us at a workshop that TMAX 100 was designed to avoid the need to use a yellow filter. Since many photographers regularly used at least a yellow #8 filter when shooting black and white, the idea was to avoid that necessity. It is more likely that you need to use a yellow filter on Delta 100 to get the look of TMAX 100 without it.
    A Sexton's workshop had to be something great. These 4 videos were very motivating to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzZj-4H5tW8

Interesting... if Sexton said it...

Anyway I don't understant the reason as Spectral Response of TMX shows to me the counter, look the Kodak plot: it's more sensitive to blue than normal, so to get same response you should place the yellow filter on TMX to get same combined blue sensitivity than D100. I think the plot says it.

Attachment 162750

Also TMX can see some more deep red than D100, some 25nm, but this is little.

I always thought that TMX makes caucasian faces lighter because higher blue sensitivity, like if placing a pale blue on D100.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Peter after photographing for nearly 50 years I pay no attention to curves or otherwise..if you use one film well; know it's attributes and shortcomings then you can max out the potential. I had recently taken some photos with delta 100 in fog and liked the results...I tried it because I looked at hundreds of other people pix on the Internet and saw a certain glow that I like. ..I'm result driven and the film you use like the paper you print on are your signature!
    Well, I guess that with experience one realize that important thing is subject !

I have to agree... achieving wanted signature may be something very difficult or as easy as using a film+paper combination. I guess sometimes it's more about discovering those valued combinations than messing with curves

I'm still investigating about wet printing...

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Years ago, John Sexton told us at a workshop that TMAX 100 was designed to avoid the need to use a yellow filter. Since many photographers regularly used at least a yellow #8 filter when shooting black and white, the idea was to avoid that necessity. It is more likely that you need to use a yellow filter on Delta 100 to get the look of TMAX 100 without it.
    One is in ergs and the other is a Wedge Spectrogram.

Well, perhaps these graphs cannot be compared, as I was thinking.

Attachment 162750

I'm interested in investigating this. I'm to make a simple lab test to measure color sensitivity. I think that it can be done by making standard film calibration but using different color monochromatic LED light sources.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 19-Mar-2017 at 06:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'm interested in investigating this. I'm to make a simple lab test to measure color sensitivity. I think that it can be done by making standard film calibration but using different color monochromatic LED light sources.
    You could also take photographs and exercise judgment about the results. Between testing and boycotting, I don't see how you have time to actually photograph, particularly now that you will also be learning about wet printing with your newly acquired enlargers.

Have been told by a few whose work I admire that the 'yellow filter effect' of TMax 100 darkens blue a bit and as a result deep shadows under clear blue skies goes darker than normal and loses detail. Also told this is not a problem with other films.

Anyone actually checked this out?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

hacker extraordinaire

Like women, one black and white film is as good as another. Really, it's a matter of getting used to whatever you have.

Also, I don't place much faith in the datasheet graphs. The manufacturer themselves typically admit the data is representative only and the actual film may vary. Plus I doubt they all use exactly the same labs or techniques between companies. Ilford even admits some of their films don't follow ISO definitions for the speed ratings.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    You could also take photographs and exercise judgment about the results. Between testing and boycotting, I don't see how you have time to actually photograph, particularly now that you will also be learning about wet printing with your newly acquired enlargers.
    Hello faberryman,

Good advice.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have been told by a few whose work I admire that the 'yellow filter effect' of TMax 100 darkens blue a bit and as a result deep shadows under clear blue skies goes darker than normal and loses detail. Also told this is not a problem with other films.

Anyone actually checked this out?
    Also I'd like to know...

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Also, I don't place much faith in the datasheet graphs. The manufacturer themselves typically admit the data is representative only and the actual film may vary. Plus I doubt they all use exactly the same labs or techniques between companies. Ilford even admits some of their films don't follow ISO definitions for the speed ratings.
    Kodak graphs are technically very well done, Ilford graphs are more oriented to what common photographers want to read about.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 20-Mar-2017 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Like women, one black and white film is as good as another.
    Do we really need to be comparing human beings to objects?