Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

Re: Delta 100 vs TMX technical differences

reciprocity failure

This is clear, TMX has less. It's the single real technical performance difference I found for LF?

Does TMax 100 still have a UV blocking layer that makes it lousy for Pt/Pd and other alternative printing processes that rely on UltraViolet light?

Have been told the TMax extended red sensitivity made for shadows that were under blue skies darker and caused them to lose detail/block up sooner than other films. Have not checked it, anyone know if this is reality? I would ask my Uncle but this is the weekend for the NCAA Wrestling tournament and he is not available to ask til it is over. (Go Penn State - winning its 6th Title in 7 years under Coach Cael Sanderson)
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    I support kodak anyway I can. never liked tmax100 but love tmy2 as it is my go to film...have played with delta 100 a bit and I like it...
    I use what I need to to get the results I want...
    thank you Sal for speaking up! this is a photography site; let's keep it that way!!
    I'd like to know what differences do you find between TMX vs TMY? It's because curve, spectral response ?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    reciprocity failure

This is clear, TMX has less. It's the single real technical performance difference I found for LF?

Does TMax 100 still have a UV blocking layer that makes it lousy for Pt/Pd and other alternative printing processes that rely on UltraViolet light?
    I also feel it's the single performance difference. One situation it matters is for long exposition to smoothen water, then shadows of rocks go to reciprocity failure. For that situation Acros is best, and TMX if better than D100.

But... let me ask, would you place a different (yellow) filter depending if you are using D100 or TMX ?
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 18-Mar-2017 at 17:47.

As far as I know: yes. Also, it's not a layer, but inherent to the unique base material used for this film. It's a royal pain in the behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'd ask if you think that, because different spectral response, one can make TMX look like D100 by using a pale yellow filter ?
    It's not something I worry about so I can't really comment.

You're muddling Orthochromatic which is red blind, with the extended red sensitivity of Tmax 100 which is the total opposite. Better red sensitivity is important at low light levels where there's far less light from the Blue end of the spectrum but with a daylight image it's marginal.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    It's not something I worry about so I can't really comment.

You're muddling Orthochromatic which is red blind, with the extended red sensitivity of Tmax 100 which is the total opposite. Better red sensitivity is important at low light levels where there's far less light from the Blue end of the spectrum but with a daylight image it's marginal.

Ian

Ian, I said "orthopanchromatic", not "orthochromatic".
    Acros is orthopanchromatic, TMX is Panchromatic, but I see an orthopanchromatic look because TMX is more blue sensitive (I guess)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hp5VS TMX.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	162750

Those spectral responses are perhaps from different instruments, still it looks that TMX has a dominant blue sensitivity than delivers (to me) an orthopanchromatic look (Pinaverdol sensitizing dye style)

This is nice a classical look... that sometimes it has to be tamed with yellow filter.

Because different Spectral Sensibility I guess that one needs a different filter (D100 vs TMX) to obtain the same look from a particular scene.

(side question)
    Is there by chance a compiled list somewhere of the films known to have UV blocking layers/bases?

~nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    As far as I know: yes. Also, it's not a layer, but inherent to the unique base material used for this film. It's a royal pain in the behind.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'd like to know what differences do you find between TMX vs TMY? It's because curve, spectral response ?
    Peter after photographing for nearly 50 years I pay no attention to curves or otherwise..if you use one film well; know it's attributes and shortcomings then you can max out the potential. I had recently taken some photos with delta 100 in fog and liked the results...I tried it because I looked at hundreds of other people pix on the Internet and saw a certain glow that I like. ..I'm result driven and the film you use like the paper you print on are your signature!

Not that I know of, but I suspect it may be a short list. A very short list indeed. I personally couldn't name any other film that has this characteristic apart from TMX.

Dave Karp

Years ago, John Sexton told us at a workshop that TMAX 100 was designed to avoid the need to use a yellow filter. Since many photographers regularly used at least a yellow #8 filter when shooting black and white, the idea was to avoid that necessity. It is more likely that you need to use a yellow filter on Delta 100 to get the look of TMAX 100 without it.