Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lens for nude shoot

Lens for nude shoot

Guys
    I planning a nude shoot and I have a question;
    I'm thinking of using my Nikor 360mm lens on my Wisner 4 x 5,

1/. What bellows extension if any do I need to add to the exposure........I will be using a strobe as fill flash.
    2/. My plan is to take the shot with a Leica S camera until I get the right exposure then use that info to get the same shot with the 4 x 5...........is that correct??

Thanks

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Lens for nude shoot

1. The necessary bellows extension factor depends on how far the lens is from the model, so there is no way to answer the question as stated.
    2. why take the photo with a different camera? Use a meter to find the appropriate exposure.

there is guidance here on bellows factors http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ws-factor.html

The Leica may not be reliable as an exposure meter for large format, but it may be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    1. The necessary bellows extension factor depends on how far the lens is from the model, so there is no way to answer the question as stated.
    2. why take the photo with a different camera? Use a meter to find the appropriate exposure.
    Yes I can do that, but I need to get my head around the bellows factor. Surly when I focus on something near then the lens will be nearer the ground glass correct????

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    there is guidance here on bellows factors http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ws-factor.html

The Leica may not be reliable as an exposure meter for large format, but it may be better than nothing.

Ted I have a meter and will use it, I just need to get my head around this "will the bellows need to be extended further if the model is nearer the lens???

Why the 360mm?

Generally, something between 150mm - 210mm would be a typical portrait lens for 4x5. If you're doing full figure studies, you'll likely want an even shorter focal length. If it was me I'd probably work with at 150 and a 210.

Also with these focal lengths you're not going to have to worry too much about bellows extension factors.

As far as metering, go with what you're comfortable with.

No, to focus closer you need to move the lens further away from the film plane....

a 360mm on 5x4 will be quite long and long lenses aren't that easy, are you sure you dont want to take a step closer and use a 210,180 or 150?

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Why the 360mm?

As far as metering, go with what you're comfortable with.
    I think mainly because its a new lens and I want to try it out, I will take the 210 with me as well

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Yes I can do that, but I need to get my head around the bellows factor. Surly when I focus on something near then the lens will be nearer the ground glass correct????
    No. The lens is closest to the GG when focused at infinity, moves away from it when focused closer.

Yes, when focusing close the lens is moved away from the ground glass and the exposure needs to be greater.

Using a meter the meter will assume the lens is focused at infinity, and that is where the f number scale is accurate. When the lens is moved away from the ground glass the f number scale needs compensation.

For a full length or seated portrait and your lens the amount needed is not huge, probably a half stop to one stop more exposure, one of the charts I linked to shows about one stop correction when the lens is 480mm from the ground glass. With negative film if things are not spot on the print exposure can be adjusted to compensate.