Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford 500 Bulb Blowing Blues

Ilford 500 Bulb Blowing Blues

Greetings my old friends. I've been going through a lot of family problems lately and so have decided to let go of all of my analog gear and get out of the game.

So, I found someone to take over my darkroom space. She bought my Durst 138 with Ilford 500 head setup. I believe is it the 500H power supply. I have the head set up with an RH Designs 500 Analyzer timer with probe. I hadn't printed on my rig in perhaps six months, I don't know.

When I showed her the system, one bulb blew, so I replaced both of them with ELH 300watt bulbs. Everything was ok for a little bit, but she told me she blew both bulbs when she raised the head and put some strain on the cable.

Ok, since then, she has blown six bulbs! What in the world could be wrong with the machine? I never replaced a bulb in the years that I used the setup.

Could the contacts on the cable have been damaged? What should I look for?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. I need to help her straighten this out, as well as buy her some bulbs.

Best,

Larry

Re: Ilford 500 Bulb Blowing Blues

Should have never sold her Larry!!!!!! At least it's good to know you're still on the planet! The L-138 is trying to tell you she misses you! L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Should have never sold her Larry!!!!!! At least it's good to know you're still on the planet! The L-138 is trying to tell you she misses you! L
    Haha! That's it! Thread closed! It's good to hear from you, Luis. I've been meaning to write to you.

Is the fan running, maybe their over heating?
    Cheers Shane

When __exactly__ does the bulb blow?

Is it when the power switch is first turned on, when the focus switch is engaged, when an exposure is started, or after it's been exposing for some time (seconds or minutes)?

I bought my 500H many years ago, and bought several new bulbs expecting to blow them fairly often.
    I've never blown a single one. The new bulbs sit at the back of the storage cabinet, lonely and ignored.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

The first time both bulbs blew at the same time and it was when I was raising the enlarger head and tension caused the cable to pull ever so slightly. The subsequent times the bulbs have blown out one at a time and it's been usually after the enlarger has been on for some time and during or right after focussing. The left hand bulb tied to the green light has blown three times in a week. I was only able to make 3 prints before it blew last. The right bulb did eventually blow as well but after 3 of the left hand bulbs blew. I'm not sure why but it seemed like having the lens on F5.6 may have. Een contributing so I took the fstop down to f11.

Sockets?

One of my D5500's was blowing bulbs. Oxidation in the lamp socket produced an intermittent low voltage. That power supply has a PWM stabilization circuit. I suspect some low voltage at the socket caused the thyristors to open all the way. Since the thyristors are right on the mains, the 81V lamp could get a jolt of 120V.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Sockets?

One of my D5500's was blowing bulbs. Oxidation in the lamp socket produced an intermittent low voltage. That power supply has a PWM stabilization circuit. I suspect some low voltage at the socket caused the thyristors to open all the way. Since the thyristors are right on the mains, the 81V lamp could get a jolt of 120V.
    That's an interesting thought! The head sat unused for quite a while. How does one go about getting rid of the oxidation in the lamp sockets? Sandpaper?

You should be able to buy new one they're pretty common

I believe there is a reset mechanism for overheating if you leave it on focus too long. I thought I had blown bulbs, but they worked the next day. Just a thought although I am sure you have checked the bulbs are really blown.