Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallmeyer 3B is being reproduced with currently-available glass

Dallmeyer 3B is being reproduced with currently-available glass

http://www.eckop.com

Not sure if this is the right place, if not, please move to the appropriate place. I am not familiar with these type of lenses, but came across this info about this lens being remade. Thought some of you would be interested.

Ed Freniere

Re: Dallmeyer 3B being remanufactured

This is interesting. I am well-acquainted with the founder of the company. I will contact him to find out what's up.

Ed

(Shrek)

I really hope this takes off. The price they're charging is right, the quantities are right, if they can get some buzz going there are more than enough working photographers interested in classic lenses to make this worthwhile. There is nothing inherently difficult in reproducing classic lenses with modern tooling and quality control. The real difficulty has always been the fact that one-off reproductions invariably cost far more than just buying a used copy off fleabay.

I hope they plan on reproducing the Cooke knucklers. Simple triplet design, could probably be made with off-the-shelf lenses if the design was adapted slightly, and manufacturing is trivial with modern CNC machinery (for a shop that has the know-how and tooling). I don't see why they would cost more than their Dallmeyer reproduction, which must also be made with off-the-shelf glass given the asking price.

This is a faster link to the correct page!

http://eckop.com/historical-reproduc...r-information/

As already mentioned, the economics must mean that the project uses optical glass types which are currently available. Which is not the case with the Chance Bros. original optical glass! Which means that owners of "parts" 3bs cannot use Eckop as a source for achromats etc. I suppose this means that each of the 3 separate optical sections (The achromat and the two rear lenses) have each been made to replicate the optical performance of that part. This means totally changed lens surafce curves throughout!

The project has underway for some years, and a pre-production group of 6 were made last year and distributed for testing and feedback (Collodion Bastards). Perhaps this will give a push to Cooke Optics to think again about resurrection of other scarce lenses.

I did have an email correspondence with Eckop early last year and I got very impression of a very reliable individual who was aware of the challenges involved.

Very interesting. We need to pre-order by March 21st this year with delivery in June.

$500 advance payment, the more that order the lower the price!

Hopefully, more people get on board. 5 in now.

I guess I will never find a 3B front 1/2 to match my rear half of a 3B.

So cracking open the piggy bank.

Don't delay!

But you can see if the new front achromat does perform OK with your parts lens. I know I wrote something different yesterday, but if the three new sections are each equivalent to the original sections, then it might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    But you can see if the new front achromat does perform OK with your parts lens. I know I wrote something diffent yesterday, but if the three new sections are each equivalent to the original sections, then it might be possible.
    Somebody needs to find out.

I can't be the only person with 1/2 a lens...

Anybody know if it is coated? It would be really nice to have a multicoated Petzval. I know many of the collodion-crowd think that coatings are bad for color-blind processes like wetplate, but from hours of experimentation I can tell you that they have no notable effect on exposure.

I have written to Steve Eckop about this current thread - so hopefully, he can answer questions.

I note that extra flanges are available at 25$. Very useful for people with a couple of suitable cameras!

The title is a touch misleading and doesn't reflect what Eckhardt Optics are actually making. They are not, and make no claim to be, re-manufacturing the Dallmeyer 3B, they clearly indicate it's a reproduction and as Steven has said it'll be using optical glasses not available when the originals were in production.

It's a great idea and a lot nicer than the Lomo Petzval, if I had the spare cash I'd possibly be interested. Now that Cooke are building a second factory maybe there''s a chance they could re-manufacture some of their oler lenses.

Ian