Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 240-A f9 for 8x10

Fuji 240-A f9 for 8x10

I have an early (silver shutter speed ring) 240-A, it doesn't say multicoated but the reflections look like the one on Kerry's site that he says is multicoated so I assume it is.

I also have a 240 Apo-Symmar. Comparing the photos from the Apo-Symmar with the photos from the Fujinon-A I must say I prefer the Apo-Symmar. I might be wrong on this, but it would seem that it has slightly less fall-off and slightly higher local contrast, giving the photos more "pop". I'm shooting color transparencies, so I'm perhaps a bit picky when it comes to falloff. And lower local contrast might be a good thing.

Re: Fuji 240-A f9 for 8x10

I recently did a HABS project on 5x7 and found that my 240mm f9 Fujinon A (silver-ring, Copal 0 shutter, serial #521594) does get unsharp around the outer edges of the image circle. I'd say about and inch before the edge.
    I was pushing the limits to get a clock tower into the frame at f22 and probably went past the "recommended" rise because I did not see the edge of the image circle.
    My M.K. Davis chart on this lens says: Image circle 336mm - 5x7 rise in vertical for 71.73mm. Since my Cambo's front rise maxes out at around 90mm I had the capacity for error and made use of it.
    I suggest you compose based on the numbers rather than the corners of the lens vignetting unless you have only sky in the top inch of your frame.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Drew Wiley

Old old thread. But the 240A easily covers 8x10 with moderate tilt or rise if you use smaller f/stops typical of 8x10 work, say, f/45 or so. I've done prints up to 30x40 inch and they're quite acceptable way out to the corners. No, it's not a wide-angle design, so the amount of rise even at smaller stops would be modest. 90mm rise is unrealistic. But the real-world coverage at infinity is almost identical to both the Fuji 250/6.7 and the 250/9 G-Claron.

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    I recently did a HABS project on 5x7 and found that my 240mm f9 Fujinon A (silver-ring, Copal 0 shutter, serial #521594) does get unsharp around the outer edges of the image circle. I'd say about and inch before the edge.
    I was pushing the limits to get a clock tower into the frame at f22 and probably went past the "recommended" rise because I did not see the edge of the image circle.
    My M.K. Davis chart on this lens says: Image circle 336mm - 5x7 rise in vertical for 71.73mm. Since my Cambo's front rise maxes out at around 90mm I had the capacity for error and made use of it.
    I suggest you compose based on the numbers rather than the corners of the lens vignetting unless you have only sky in the top inch of your frame.
    I have both the 240A and a 240 Germinar W, both purchased new and still in pristine condition. My sample of the Germinar W is much sharper than my sample of the 240A, on axis as well as at the edges of its (larger than the 240A's) image circle. If you can find one -- mine's not for sale -- the Germinar W would offer better performance in your application.

Drew Wiley

That's sorta a Bentley vs Rolls Royce argument. The Fuji 240 A is an extraordinary lens, but does begin approaching its infinity circle limit on 8x10 format. Yes, there's a tiny bit of detail loss near the corners with 8x10 which makes it a bit less remarkable lens on this format than on 4x5 or 5x7 applications. But it takes a rather big enlargement to even detect that. At the moment, I'm scratching my head about a bargain deal on a 270 G-Claron. That should give me a tad more quality in the extreme corners of 8x10 with strong movements. The 240A and 250GC are almost identical in performance except for the slightly higher contrast of the Fuji A due to multicoating. Another positive of the 240A is its tiny size (no.0 shutter). I've never even seen a 240 Germinar.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Old old thread....
    Yes but since 6300 people have looked at this thread, including me, why start a new one...
    I like my treads to be vintage like my cameras.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I have both the 240A and a 240 Germinar W, both purchased new and still in pristine condition. My sample of the Germinar W is much sharper than my sample of the 240A, on axis as well as at the edges of its (larger than the 240A's) image circle. If you can find one -- mine's not for sale -- the Germinar W would offer better performance in your application.
    That's sorta a Bentley vs Rolls Royce argument...
    In the case of my two samples, more like a Lexus vs Fiat comparison.

...The Fuji 240 A is an extraordinary lens, but does begin approaching its infinity circle limit on 8x10 format. Yes, there's a tiny bit of detail loss near the corners with 8x10 which makes it a bit less remarkable lens on this format than on 4x5 or 5x7 applications. But it takes a rather big enlargement to even detect that...
    I have Fujinon A lenses in 180mm, 240mm, 300mm and 360mm, all EBC coated and in pristine condition. The 180 and 240 were purchased brand new. The 360 is sharpest, followed by the 180 (this one used for roll film only), then a tie between the 240 and 300, neither of which is particularly sharp. All except the 180 evaluated on 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Results were consistent across formats and film holders.

...At the moment, I'm scratching my head about a bargain deal on a 270 G-Claron. That should give me a tad more quality in the extreme corners of 8x10 with strong movements...
    I've got one of those too, also purchased brand new, among the last in stock at Schneider USA when that line was discontinued. It's sharper than my 240A and 300A but not as sharp as the 240 Germinar W.

...The 240A and 250GC are almost identical in performance except for the slightly higher contrast of the Fuji A due to multicoating...
    I assume "250GC" is an error and was intended to reference a 240mm G-Claron, right?

...I've never even seen a 240 Germinar.
    Too bad. My sample is head and shoulders above the 240A in terms of coverage, sharpness and flatness of field.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 25-Nov-2019 at 10:55. Reason: Grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    ...since 6300 people have looked at this thread, including me, why start a new one...
    Bravo, Stephen. Thanks for doing the right thing and keeping this archive more easily searchable. It ain't a chat room.

Drew Wiley

Once again I'm extremely doubtful of the objectivity of your assessment of Fuji A series lenses, having used a variety of them for decades with consistently more than outstanding results, exceeding any general purpose plasmat I've gotten ahold of, even with demanding high magnification roll-film applications and not just sheet film. Maybe you're seeing lack of film flatness issues instead. I dunno. But to avoid another brawl, you can stick to your lens religion; I'll stick to mine. And yes, GC equates to G-Claron, nominally 240, but according to the brochure, actually 238. I don't get nitpicky over such things, just over performance per se. Otherwise, I have no reason to doubt your endorsement of the Apo Germinar, just your ridiculous, routinely-disproven "Fiat" slander of the Fuji A series. I will concede that both the Fuji A and Schneider GC of that focal length are approaching their practical circle limit with 8x10 format, but are still distinctly practical. I have a number of true apo lenses myself, namely, Apo Nikkors which exceed in terms of acuity and apochromaticity any of my official view camera lenses, but are not as practical in the field, and are optically overkill for most real-world applications. I am getting ready to use a 240 Apo Nikkor tomorrow (rainy day forecast) for a very demanding application in the darkroom, making a precise enlarged color internegative.

Mmmm, an interesting recent discussion

I found the Fuji 240 restricted for swing and shift when it came to 10 x 8 and isn't it 'a process lens design' (or whatever is the correct expression) which would impact on 'the angle of view'. However it would be a great lens for the Whole Plate size

S Simmons used to use the lens for a lot of his 5 x 7 portrait work but there we are he is or was an Architectural Photographer, so depth of field was essential for his work

Drew, I seem to recall that the 270 g-Claron is very soft at the edges..................

Sal...."...I have Fujinon A lenses in 180mm, 240mm, 300mm and 360mm, all EBC coated and in pristine condition. The 180 and 240 were purchased brand new..." that's great for you etc, seem to recall that you also own a WP Ebony, looks like you've accumulated a very respectable amount of kit here

rgds

Andrew