Thread: UV Light Sources For Platinum Palladium

UV Light Sources For Platinum Palladium

The time has come to take the plunge into the world of pt/pd. For my first few images I will be using 5x7 negatives. Once the process gets more comfortable the primary negative size will be 8x20 with some 8x10 and 11x14. Researching the necessary lighting is the current phase of my introduction. After reading the Sandy King article on unblinkingeye I have some specific questions. The light source that I am leaning toward toward is a bank of URI Super Actinic bulbs. From my initial reading the bulbs are fairly affordable and tend to work better for pt/pd. Anyone out there using this light source with good results?

-Bruce

Bruce, I can't speak to the UR1 bulbs, but I use a NuArc Mercury Exposure unit. These were intended for the graphics arts/printing business and can now be had quite inexpensively on eBay.

The advantages are that they come with a built in light integrator so exposures are repeatable and they come with built in vacuum frame. I use the 26-1K unit and it can handle work up to 22x26".

Regards, Pete

Sandy King has an excellent article at Unblinkingeye.com. It will answer many of your questions.

Sorry. I didn't see that you have read the article. It was of great help to me. I went to granger and bought BL tubes and holders and they are working great for me. i just buy more holders and bulbs as my needs in larger size increases.

Bruce I recommend the 26-1K too, heck if it is good enough for Arentz, it cant be all that bad... :-)

I have been using mine since I started and I am very happy with it. The bulb will last you for a long time, you get consistent exposures and you can get them very cheap on e bay. Good luck.

Bruce I also use a 26-1k NuArc. The advantages of a point light source allows you to dodge and burn if needed. I have also used an Edwards Engineering unit and they are an excellent alternative to a plate burner. Though dodging and burning takes a little practice as you cannot see the print during exposure. My print that just won best in black and white at the JCC & Beck Center for the Arts Photography Exhibition in Cleveland, Ohio was printed with an Edwards unit. On top of all that, John Edwards is a great guy to deal with.