Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Anything Dagor"

Re: "Anything Dagor"

I shot two 5x7 negatives and like what I see....this lens has a signature....I agree with you Dan......

"Everyone knows that lens design types have easily discernible signatures. Everyone".

Next time I'll have to make sure to turn sarcasm on/off visibly.

Off topic but this thread made me remember the first time I saw a Dagor lens was over 50 years ago at Knott's Berry Farm. There was an old time portrait studio and the camera used for taking the souvenir portraits was an 8x10---I don't remember the make but I remember the lens was distinctly labeled "Dagor."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,

Not off topic at all.....I hoped for dialog just like this....positive and personal. The first Dagor I saw was the one I bought two weeks ago for $100. (at a camera swap-meet). I am interested in seeing and hearing more from Dagor users like Karl French, IanG and you.
    Last edited by DG 3313; 8-Mar-2017 at 19:45.

My experience with Dagors is they are good usable lenses, they don't have the "unique discernible signature" which some look for in lenses like Heliars which is the rendering of out of focus area, the mythical Bokeh not a word I personally like to use.

Instead with a Dagor you get a lens that gives good all-round performance with a large sharp image circle when stopped down, I'll qualify tat because the illuminated image circle is the same wide open or stopped right down, it's the area of acceptable sharpness that increases.

It's the large coverage which meant Dagors became "Cult" lenses sort after by ULF photographers. After all my 120mm f6.8 Dagor would be a Normal lens on a Quarter plate camera, a slight wide angle on a 5x4 and a reasonable wide angle lens on a 7x5 or half plate camera which it just covers stopped right down. The other factor is like the Zeiss Protars with only two internal air/glass surfaces even an uncoated Dagor (in good optical condition) will give good contrast and is not really prone to flare.

Ian

Here's a recent test Cedar Swamp Dawes Mid Ohio

makiflex #6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Makiflex, 120mm barrel mount Schneider Angulon at F16 15 sec 6x9cm Foma 200 roll film Legacy Mic-X Replenished
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain