Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Anything Dagor"

"Anything Dagor"

I am the new owner of some old glass......9.5" F 6.8 Goerz Dagor. What have you done with your Dagor?

Re: "Anything Dagor"

I have two and use them, my 12" f6.8 Goerz AM Opt Dagor in a Compound is the prime lens on my 10"x8" Agfa Ansco Commercial View, it's a 1939/40 lens that was coated for the original owner after WWII. The seller (the second owner) had never used it saying it was old and useless - it needed a careful claen but is an excellent lens in terms of resulting images.

My second Dagor was bought about a year ago a 120mm f6.8 Goerz Berlin Dagor in a Compound it's in near mint condition and had never been fitted to a camera, although uncoated it has nice contrast compared to a similar age mint uncoated Tessar, it's close to a coated lens in lack of internal lens flare, it covers 7"x5" with no room for movements stopped right down.

Your 9˝" Dagor according to Goerz AM Opt covers 10x8 @ f16 and 14x11 @ f45, by coverage they mean acceptable sharpness rather than illumination. If it's in a shutter it'll be easy to use as a slightly loner normal lens for 7x5 or a slight wide angle on a 10x8 camera. If not you need to find a suitable shutter.

Ian

I have 11 Dagors from the 3 WA and from 6" to the 14" Kern MC. They're what I use from 4x5 to 11x14.

Quote Originally Posted by DG 3313 View Post
    I am the new owner of some old glass......9.5" F 6.8 Goerz Dagor. What have you done with your Dagor?

They're not all old quite a few were made into the 1980's

My lens serial number is something like 7712##. I read that it was made in about 1948. I would love to see few photos made with a Dagor (old or new) if anyone would like to share.

It is not in a shutter yet. The glass is very good but, the aperture needs to be worked a little to loosen it up.

A 1948 Dagor will be coated so should be excellent. i think there's an image sharing thread with images shot with Dagors but I can't spot it.

The honest answer is you can't tell whether an image has been made with a a Dagor, a coated Tessar or most coated/MCmodern lenses, well not with B&W anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levant2w.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	162084

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alveley.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	162083

Both with my 12" Dagor.

Ian

Why limit this discussion to lenses made by Goerz? Other makers made Dagor types, some of them extremely similar to Goerz' own.

Various Goerz Dagor (and Doppel Anastigmat Series III) shots. 94mm, 6 1/2 WA, 8 1/4, 12 GD & 14"

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...gor&view_all=1

Thanks for sharing......."anything Dagor" shared would be appreciated.....my lens happens to be a Goerz. I like the look of a Cooke series II that I got from Ari last year. I was just wondering if Dagors have a "Dagor" look to them like some of the other lenses........I'll put some film behind it this weekend.....I hope.
    Last edited by DG 3313; 4-Mar-2017 at 14:31.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The honest answer is you can't tell whether an image has been made with a a Dagor, a coated Tessar or most coated/MCmodern lenses, well not with B&W anyway.

Ian
    Ian, you are a dangerous heretic and will have to be suppressed. Everyone knows that lens design types have easily discernible signatures. Everyone.

Cheers,

Dan

p.s., I'm a Certified Ignorant Barbarian Insensitive to the Fine Points®. I took the course, passed the exam and have the certificate. I can't see the differences either, will have to be suppressed too.